Click Here for Events/Updates
Follow us on Facebook!
In 1922, six nurses founded Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing, today known as Sigma at the Indiana University Training School for Nurses, which is now the Indiana University School of Nursing, in Indianapolis, Indiana, USA. The founders chose the name from the Greek words storgé, tharsos, and timé, meaning love, courage, and honor. The mission of Sigma, is advancing world health and celebrating nursing excellence in scholarship, leadership, and service. Sigma’s vision is to be the global organization of choice for nursing.
From its inception, Sigma has recognized the value of scholarship and excellence in nursing practice. In 1936, Sigma became the first US organization to fund nursing research. Today, Sigma supports these values through its numerous professional development products and services that focus on the core areas of education, leadership, career development, evidence-based nursing, research, and scholarship. These products and services advance the learning and professional development of members and all nurses who strive to improve the health of the world’s people.
Xi Chi Chapter Goals:
Upcoming Programs & Events
- Tri-State Consortium:
- Sunday ~ October 20, 2019 @ 10AM
- Location: University of Delaware
- Featuring: Richard Ricciardi, PhD, CRNP, FAANP, FAAN – “Driving Change: Rethinking the APRN’s Role in Reshaping Healthcare”
- Distinguished Lecture
- Thursday~ October 24, 2019 starting at 6:00 PM
- More Information to Come!
Call for Leaders
Xi Chi Chapter of Sigma Theta Tau International would like to identify Nurse Leader candidates for membership.
Invite a colleague who meets the criteria and would help to strengthen our chapter.
∗Nurse Leader Candidates eligible must:
- Be legally recognized to practice nursing in their country.
- Have a minimum of a baccalaureate degree or the equivalent in any field.
- Demonstrate achievement in nursing. Candidates will be asked to explain how they have met the achievement in nursing categories below.
∗Leader Achievement in nursing categories:
- Service or Practice
Share with a colleague the form and brochure and invite them to apply. They can use this writeable form online or download and print. Have them submit the Nurse Leader application (below) and a current resume to Dr. Kelly Kuhns, Millersville University Nursing Dept, PO Box 1002, Millersville, PA 17551 or email to: Kelly.Kuhns@millersville.edu
After review, applicants selected by the membership committee will receive invitations by mail. Please follow invitation instructions to accept (and submit annual membership fee).
The holiday season is now upon us! Are you looking for a GREAT stocking stuffer idea or even a last-minute birthday or thank you gift? Please consider supporting your Xi Chi chapter by purchasing or selling our Sheetz fundraiser coupon books. Coupon booklets cost $10.00 and our chapter generates a $2.00 profit/booklet sold.
- Each coupon book contains 7 coupons:
- Free M•T•O® item
- Buy One Get One Free M•T•go!® Sandwich or Parfait
- Free Bag of Fryz
- Free Specialty Coffee
- Buy One Get One Free Nutz
- Free Self-Serve Brewed Coffee or Fizz City® Fountain Drink (2).
- Every coupon is good for three (3) years from the date of ordering.
- Coupon books are accepted at all Sheetz locations.
- Contact Lisa Hostetter at firstname.lastname@example.org for purchasing or selling information.
- Click HERE for Flyer
Raised funds will be used to support our on-going community service projects such as Millersville University’s Campus Cupboard. Thank you for your support and Happy Holidays!
Fundraising events to increase Chapter’s ability to hold more social and EBP events along with support future community service projects. Our service projects preparing meals at Ronald McDonald House in Hershey and providing personal care items for the MU Campus Cupboard (food pantry providing groceries and weekly meals to MU students who are food insecure). These align with our three United Nation’s Sustainable Goals: zero hunger, good health and well-being, and climate action. Please support our Amazon Smile fundraising.
Call for Chapter Awards
Nominations for awards are due September 15th. Please consider nominating someone for the following awards. The criteria and application/nomination information can be found on the Xi Chi Chapter website. Awards will be presented during the Distinguished Lecture on October 11th.
- Excellence in Nursing Practice (must be chapter member)
- Excellence in Nursing Research (must be chapter member)
- Mentor Award (must be chapter member)
- Community Leader Award (individual or group does not need to be chapter member)
In addition, Xi Chi offers a scholarship and a research grant. Information related to these awards can be found on the website.
Please recognize your Xi Chi peers who serve nursing in a variety of ways!
Xi Chi Chapter GLOBAL INITIATIVE
Dear Xi Chi members:
One of our Xi Chi members, Dennis “Denny” Freed, is doing mission work in Guatemala. The Board of Directors is leading chapters members in international efforts and reaching out to Dennis is a great start. There are many needs in the orphanage, but practically speaking they need financial support and prayers.
Dennis Freed Newsletter May 2018 – Ecclesiastes says that to every thing there is a season. We have learned that for many things in our lives, and our family is approaching new seasons in two very big ways. Here is the latest update on our family and our life here in Guatemala. Please continue to remember us in prayer for all the opportunities God has opened for us here!
Dennis L. Freed, MSN, CRNP
Facebook: Dennis Freed