The Lancaster County Normal Institute opened April 10, 1855 as a 12 week session “to improve the teachers of Commons Schools” that included lectures, recitations, and practice in the Model School. (Catalogue, 1855). The School then expanded to become the Lancaster County Normal School with classes beginning November 5, 1855. J.P. Wickersham was hired as the Principal, replacing J.F. Stoddard who had been the principal of the Institute. The Normal School evolved and eventually was known as Millersville State Teachers College, Millersville State College and finally Millersville University.
To view more detailed information regarding the history of the University check out the other posts on this page!
Millersville State Normal School always had a Principal as the head, from 1855 until 1928 when it became Millersville State Teachers College. From 1928 to the present, the head of the College or University has gone by the title of President.
The Millersville University Archives contains 19th – 21st century documents, photographs and artifacts created by university: the Millersville Academy (1854-1855), the Lancaster County Normal Institute (1855), the Lancaster County Normal School (1855-1859), the First Pennsylvania State Normal School of the Second District (1859-1927), Millersville State Teachers College (1927-1959), Millersville State College (1959-1983), and Millersville University of Pennsylvania (1983-present). The collection contains documents created by the university as well as materials produced by university administrators, faculty, staff, students and alumni. The Archives includes theses, administrative reports, department and committee records, student publications, photographs, and correspondence.
While most documents are available to researchers, some official records of the Offices of the President, Provost, Board of Trustees, and other academic and administrative offices may be confidential or restricted. Contact Archives & Special Collections for more information. (717) 871-7134.
The stained glass windows were once only located in the Chapel and the Library. When the chapel was torn down in the late 1960s, the windows that were there were preserved and are now located in buildings throughout campus. The library was renovated and is now the Biemesderfer Executive Center where the stained glass windows remain.