The Lancaster County Normal Institute opened April 10, 1855 as a 12 week session “to improve the teachers of Commons Schools” that included lectures, recitations, and practice in the Model School. (Catalogue, 1855). The School then expanded to become the Lancaster County Normal School with classes beginning November 5, 1855. J.P. Wickersham was hired as the Principal, replacing J.F. Stoddard who had been the principal of the Institute. The Normal School evolved and eventually was known as Millersville State Teachers College, Millersville State College and finally Millersville University.
To view more detailed information regarding the history of the University check out the other posts on this page!
The adoption of the Nineteenth Amendment enfranchised women in the United States, but it failed to provide women the same rights and privileges under the constitution and laws that men enjoyed. In February 1921, at a meeting in Washington, the National Woman’s Party disbanded as a suffrage organization and reorganized to establish women’s equal rights. The exhibit is separated into three sub-sections: the National Woman’s Party and the Equal Rights Movement, Black women’s involvement in the Equal Rights Movement and their lived experiences in the 1920s, and equal rights movements across the world.
To browse the exhibit, click here:
Voices from the Archives: The Long Fight for Women’s Equal Rights