The Lancaster County Normal Institute opened April 10, 1855 as a 12 week session “to improve the teachers of Commons Schools” that included lectures, recitations, and practice in the Model School. (Catalogue, 1855). The School then expanded to become the Lancaster County Normal School with classes beginning November 5, 1855. J.P. Wickersham was hired as the Principal, replacing J.F. Stoddard who had been the principal of the Institute. The Normal School evolved and eventually was known as Millersville State Teachers College, Millersville State College and finally Millersville University.
To view more detailed information regarding the history of the University check out the other posts on this page!