Historical synopses on many of the university’s prominent buildings and landmarks, located across the Millersville campus.
Note: All underlined words link to exhibits which expand further on the topics discussed within the sentence. A resource section, listing all the exhibits, is located at the bottom of the page.
Originally constructed as The Academy Building, served as the administration offices, classrooms, dining hall, library, dormitory and chapel. The original building was built in 1854 with many additions over the years. Chapel and additional story to tower built with a new 1000-pound bell hung in tower in 1875. The Chapel was dedicated 8 April 1875. In 1892 extension of 65 feet to wing of ladies’ building authorized. Installation of stained glass windows was begun in 1905. In 1965 the college began the razing of Old Main to make way for a new library. A memory book was put together entitled A Landmark Falls.
The first yearbook (1899) had a page dedicated to Soldiers’ Monument.
Fountains purchased for front lawn from C. Hitzeroth, Philadelphia.
Dutcher Hall served as the first gymnasium and later as the student union (the “Rat”) . It was begun in July 1890 and a full description was shared in the November 1890 Normal Journal. In 1974 it was rededicated and named for Dean Dutcher (1927-1952), professor of social studies, chairman of the Social Studies Department, and a developer of the college testing program. In 2006, Dutcher Hall is renovated and expanded.
Purchased the brickyard plot on the north side of campus, today this is the site of the campus lake and Biemesderfer Executive Center.
The lake created on campus.
Biemesderfer Executive Center:
Originally built as the college library, plans for the new building were published in the November 1891 Normal Journal. This building served the campus community without electricity until 1922. With the building of Ganser Library in 1965 the “old” library was used as the temporary union building before being renovated and rededicated as Biemesderfer Executive Center. It was named for President D. Luke Biemesderfer (1943-1965) and his wife, Elva, both 1917 graduates of the normal school. Today it houses the offices of the top administration on campus as well as the H. Edgar Sherts Board Room, named for an 1896 graduate and prominent member of the Board of Trustees (1910-1936).
The Science Building:
The building sat next to the lake and housed the classrooms for the teaching of the sciences. A drawing of the building was published in the November 1895 Normal Journal. In 1956 the Science building was renovated and renamed Industrial Arts Building. In 1962 the building was razed.
Charles and Mary Hash Building:
Charles and Mary Hash Building was built as the Model School to serve pupils of the community as well as the students of the normal school for practice teaching. Plans for the new Model were announced in the November 1899 Normal Journal. The building opened for use in the Fall of 1901. In 1921 the Training School library opened. In 1968 it was rededicated as Myers Hall, named for Carrie E. Myers (1885-1923), an 1884 graduate of the normal school who joined the faculty of the Model School and became its superintendent. In 1996 this building underwent major renovations and was dedicated as the Charles and Mary Hash Building. Along with Bassler Hall these buildings are known as the Velma A. Dilworth McCollough and Clair R. McCollough Communications Complex and Broadcast Studio.
The property was purchased and is now the northwestern section of the campus.
The Susan P. Luek Hall:
Formerly known as Byerly Hall, originally served as the junior high school building for the community and laboratory school of the college. In 1939 a library and gymnasium were added to the building. The building was named for Andrew R. Byerly (1858-1912), an 1855 graduate of the normal school and member of the English faculty in 1968. In 2017 it was renamed the Susan P. Luek Hall in honor of the lifetime support of the professor of psychology at Millersville University.
Built in 1930, Tanger House was known as President’s House until it’s rededication in 1999. It was designed by C. Emlen Urban and has served as the home of the president since its original dedication. Landis Tanger was the first president to live in the house.
Brooks Hall was the college’s second gymnasium and served as headquarters for women’s sports until the closing of the building in 2017. Dr. Edward Brooks (1855-1883) was a teacher of mathematics and third principal of the normal school.
James Pyle Wickersham (1855-1866) was one of the founders of the normal school and served as its second Principal, hence the former principal classroom building name origin.
Boyer Computer Center:
Originally built as the Boiler House, it was rededicated in 1979 as Boyer Computer Center. It was named for Lee E. Boyer (1934-1957), a professor of mathematics and head of the department.
Originally served as a woman’s dormitory, now houses the administrative offices. Anna Lyle (1873-1919), an 1866 graduate of the normal school, was a teacher of elocution and history.
Formerly known as Gilbert Hall until 2017 and, before that, as Roddy Hall until 1964. It was originally named for H. Justin Roddy and was a men’s dormitory. It was rededicated in 1964 and named for Sarah Hughes Gilbert (1881-1912), an 1877 and 1879 graduate of the normal school, who taught mathematics and, later, literature and elocution. With the re-dedication in 1964 it became a women’s dormitory. With the naming of Building A in the West Village as Gilbert Hall, this building was renamed Lehigh Hall.
The auditorium is a site of major cultural activities on campus and classes in music and other subjects. Eliphalet Oram Lyte (1868-1912) was a 1868 and 1876 graduate of the normal school. He taught rhetoric, bookkeeping, pedagogy, and grammar before becoming Principal in 1887. In 1998 it was renovated and renamed Alumni Hall and Lyte Auditorium. The building underwent a major renovation and expansion in 2010-2012. In the Spring of 2012 is was announced the building would rededicated as the Dr. Charles R. and Mrs. Anita B. Winter Center.
Originally a men’s dormitory, the hall was named for Judge Guy Kurtz Bard (1915), a 1913 and 1914 graduate of the normal school. He taught mathematics and school management before serving as a public school teacher, an administrator, and a member of the Board of Trustees of the Normal School. In the 1930s, he served as President of the Board of Trustees for four years. In 1939, he was appointed to a federal court position by Franklin D. Roosevelt.
Named for Burl Ness Osburn (1932-1962), a professor of Industrial Arts and head of the department. He brought national and state recognition of Millersville’s department of Industrial Arts and wrote five books on industrial arts. In 2002 the building underwent major renovations and was expanded. It houses the Industry and Technology Department and the Eshelman Wood Laboratory, named for Paul W. Eshelman (1947-1972) a professor of industrial arts.
Built as an extension of Myers Hall to house the Geography Department, the hall was named for Henry M. Bassler (1926-1957), Assistant Professor and Chairman of the Geography Department. He was the first active professor to have a professional society name for him, the Bassler Geographic Society. It underwent major renovations in 1996 and is now a part of the Velma A. Dilworth McCollough and Clair R. McCollough Communications Complex and Broadcast Studio.
Named for Arthur R. Gerhart (1928-1955), who taught botany and biology and was Chairman of the Department of Natural Sciences.
Dilworth Administration Building:
Named for Homer Dilworth (1912-1941), English professor and Chairman of the English Department. He also served as Vice-Principal. In 1927 he was named the first Dean of Instruction and remained in this position until his retirement.
Roddy Science Center:
As of 2019, it is the home of the Biology, Chemistry, Earth Sciences and Physics Departments and of offices of the Dean of the School of Sciences and Mathematics, was named for H. Justin Roddy (1887-1926), an 1881 and 1896 graduate of the normal school, who taught geography and geology and was of the Science Department. The building also houses the Engle Physics Laboratory, named for Daniel G. Engle (1955-1974), a professor of physics. In 1997 the building underwent major renovations and expansion and is now a wing of the Science and Technology Building. Caputo Hall, named for Joseph A. Caputo (1983-2003), president of Millersville University, was added in 1997. In 2005 Roddy Hall, Caputo Hall, Brossman Hall and Nichols House were rededicated as the Dr. James P. and Tasia K. Argires Science Complex in honor of Dr. Argires, a well-known neurosurgeon in Lancaster, and his wife whose gift funded the complete renovation of Roddy Hall.
A dormitory for both men and women, the hall was named for Peter M. Harbold (1905-1908, 1912-1918), an 1898 and 1899 honor graduate of the normal school who served as Superintendent of the Model School and later as Principal. In 2015 Harbold Hall was demolished to make way for the new dorm suites.
A dormitory for both men and women, the hall was named for G. Graybill Diehm, prominent in Lancaster County and Commonwealth politics for forty years. He held various elected offices including seats in both houses of the state legislature. In 2015 Diehm Hall was demolished to make way for the new dorm suites.
Originally known as Landes Hall, a dormitory for both men and women and named for Amanda Landes (1885-1920), the valedictorian of the class of 1885, who joined the faculty upon graduation and became head of the Reading and Elocution Department. In 2008 Landes Hall was renovated for classroom use for the School of Education and rededicated at Stayer Hall, the first green building on campus.
A dormitory for men, which also contains offices for the Deans of Resident Life. It was named for George W. Hull (1875-1921), an 1874 graduate of the normal school, teacher of mathematics, and head of the Math Department; Faculty Senate and Student Senate organized. In 2014 Hull Hall was demolished to make way for the new dorm suites.
The Francine G. McNairy Library and Learning Forum:
Originally known as Ganser Library, the college library was formally announced in 1965 and officially opened with a bookwalk in 1967. It was named for Helen A. Ganser (1911-1952), librarian and head of the Library Science Department. Also located in the building is the Esther Risser Whitely Room, a reading room for Special Collections, named for Esther Risser Whitely (1952-1972), reference librarian and the Doris Keller Hosler Classroom, named for Doris Keller Hosler (1968-1988) who began the bibliographical instruction program. In 2011-2013 the library underwent a major renovation and in October 2013 was rededicated as the Francine G. McNairy Library and Learning Forum with the tower being known as Ganser Hall. In 2017 the Writing Center consolidated it two sites, opening on the first floor of the Library. The grand opening was held in September.
Gordinier Dining Hall:
Contains several dining rooms, kitchen, offices for the food services staff and a student post office. It was named for Charles H. Gordinier (1911-1929), head of the Classical Languages Department and later Principal of the normal school and first President of the College. It was renovated and expanded in 1987-1988 with the new Conference Center opening in 1988, named for Board of Trustees President, William H. Bolger. Over the years, the dining facility has undergone numerous updates. In 2016 the building was renovated and expanded with a new entrance facing the new dorm suites.
The college medical facility was named for Dr. C. Howard Witmer, a 1902, 1904 and 1905 graduate of the Normal School and prominent physician in Lancaster County.
A dormitory originally named Tanger Hall for Landis Tanger (1929-1943), President of the College. In 1999 it was rededicated as Hobbs Hall, named for L.M. Hobbs (1854-1858), a teacher and one of the founders of the academy. He served as the first steward of the school. In 2014 Hobbs Hall was demolished to make way for the new dorm suites.
The Alumni House:
At 205 North George Street, this house was purchased by the Alumni Association. The house had been built in 1915 and prior to being purchased by the Association, it had been the home of Clyde V. Musselman (Class of 1928). In 1983, the house was donated to the University by the Alumni Association. In 1990-91 it was renovated and expanded. On 28 October 1995 it was rededicated as The Duncan Alumni House, honoring Dr. William and Alma Duncan.
Bishop Service Building
Named for John F. Bishop (1929-1957), Superintendent of grounds and buildings, houses the offices of the Grounds Department and vehicular garage and storage area.
Originally dedicated as Stayer Research and Learning Center, for Samuel B. Stayer (1916-1953), a 1913 and 1914 graduate of the normal school who taught mathematics, was Dean of Men, Director of the Training School, and head of the Education and Psychology Department. In 1991 the name was changed to Stayer Education Center and in 2008, the building was renamed Jefferson Hall.
Named for Sanders P. McComsey (1927-1955), a graduate of the college, professor of English and Dean of Instruction, and co-author of the Alma Mater of the college. It underwent major renovations and expansion in 2002 and again in 2010.
Stine Student Services Building:
Named for Clyde S. Stine (1946-1968), Dean of Men and pioneer in student services at the college.
Named for D. Luke Biemesderfer (1943-1965), a 1917 graduate and President of the College. In 2005 the stadium was completed renovated and in October it was rededicated as Christ Field at Biemesderfer Stadium.
Student Memorial Center:
Houses a variety of rooms for activities for students and others as well as offices for student organizations. It was named for all students, alumni, faculty, and staff who have served in the armed services of the United States. It has been renovated and expanded twice.
A multipurpose indoor athletics building named for John A. Pucillo (1925-1957), professor and Director of Health and Physical Education, coach, and Director of Athletics. In 2017 the lobby underwent extensive renovations and was renamed the Anttonen Athletics Lobby in honor of Dr. Ralph (Doc) and Judith Anttonen at a dedication ceremony held 15 November 2017.
Named for A.H. Palmer (1912-1933), Superintendent of Grounds and Buildings, houses the Office of Physical Plant, receiving room for college deliveries, service department, and general storage.
A dormitory for men, named for Thomas Henry Burrowes, one of the founders of the normal school and a leader in the establishment of public education in the Commonwealth. In 2014, Burrowes Hall is demolished to make way for the new dorm suites.
A dormitory for women, named for Esther Lenhardt (1920-1966), a 1910 graduate of the normal school and professor of English and speech, later Alumni Secretary, and co-author of the Alma Mater of the college. In 2014 Lenhardt Hall was demolished to make way for the new dorm suites.
A dormitory for both men and women, named for Frederick Hughes Gaige (1918-1939), Director of the Training School and a professor of social sciences. In the fall of 2016 Gaige Hall was demolished.
Houses the Art Department was named for Aaron G. Breidenstine (1955-1966), Dean of Instruction. It also houses the Swift Gallery named for Margaret Swift (1927-1958), a professor of art education, and the Sykes Gallery, named for Ronald E. Sykes (1956-1998), a professor of art and chairman of the department.
Alumni Bell Court:
Alumni Bell Court, including tower to house the 1875 bell from Old Main, completed
Built in 1994, it is part of The James P. and Tasia K. Argires Science Complex. It houses faculty offices, a classroom, a computer laboratory and laboratory space for oceanography and geology.
A new dorm is completed.
The Inn at Millersville:
The inn is converted into student housing and renamed Reighard Hall.
The new baseball stadium opened. It is located near Jefferson Hall. In April 2013, it was renamed Cooper Park in honor of former Marauder baseball player Bennet J. Cooper (Class of 1967) and is known as “The Coop.”
The Ware Center:
Purchase of 42 North Prince Street, Lancaster. In September 2011 it is rededicated as The Ware Center, honoring Paul W. and Judy S. Ware.
New Housing suites begun. South Village was the first to be completed. The halls were named Hobbs Hall, Lenhardt Hall, Burrowes Hall and Harbold Hall. Hobbs and Lenhardt are on the east side and Burrowes and Harbold on the west.
The suites opened to the students. The halls were named Landes Hall and Gilbert Hall. Landes is on the north side and Gilbert on the south.
Lombardo Welcome Center:
Ground was broken for the net-zero energy Samuel N. and Dena M. Lombardo Welcome Center in February. Construction progressed through the summer and fall with a special tour on 9 November. It is set to open in February 2018.