Education Guru -My Reason for Teaching-

Where it all started…

I remember walking into my 2nd grade classroom with the biggest smile on my face every single morning. I knew the day ahead of me would hold great excitement and I was eager to see where it would take me and my adventures. Mrs. Vance was a memorable teacher from my childhood and I always enjoyed being in her classroom. Whether it was because of her real connections she made with her students, or the welcoming/inviting classroom she had, or maybe a combination of the two, I still remember the positive impact she had on my school experience. I believe that the impact she had on me is so tremendous, that it is the main reason for me wanting to start a career in the teaching field.

The most memorable part…

The most crucial part of successful teaching is to make the content fun and enjoyable for the students, but making a great lesson out of it. My first experience of this was in Mrs. Vance’s class and she would use a money system, v-bucks. V-bucks were fake money that would be given to students if they did a good deed, if they answered a question correctly, if they handed back papers to the class, etc. Eventually, students can turn in their v-bucks and essentially buy something from the prize box. Not only were v-bucks a fun competition for the class, but they also taught us students about saving money up for the more expensive prizes. It taught us a mini lesson about money and it was relevant in a second graders life.

In my classroom…

I am so grateful to have had a great teacher in my early elementary school years. Mrs. Vance did not just teach the school content, but I also learned about relationships, being a role model, and how to have a positive outlook on everything. I cherish my memories from her class because they helped me become the great student I am today. With that being said, it has motivated me immensely in my college education because I often remember why I want to be a teacher. I want to impact as many children’s lives positively that I can. I want to be that role model that they have right from the start. Students will not learn from a teacher they do not like, I aspire to be not only their teacher, but a friend they can come and talk to when things are not right at home. I want to build amazing relationships with each of my students and show them a welcoming environment for them to learn in.