Mission: To enable knowledge of nature and science by inspiring individuals, engaging communities, and connecting organizations.
The Museum was founded in 1953 by Franklin & Marshall College. Named for Lancaster businessman Hugh M. North, whose estate funded the building’s construction, the North Museum quickly became a destination in the community for introducing children to the natural world. Over time, dedicated staff and volunteers were among the earliest Museum professionals to embrace a philosophy of public science education.
The Museum’s collections trace their existence back to the 19th century and an active group of amateur naturalists in Lancaster County called the Linnaean Society. They collected specimens to document the flora and fauna of this region, and in time, their combined collections found a home at Franklin & Marshall College. Today, the North Museum’s collections include more than 360,000 objects in disciplines ranging from archaeology to zoology.
The North Museum became an independent non-profit organization in 1992, and in 2009, the Museum received its fourth re-accreditation from the American Alliance of Museums. Fewer than five percent of Museums nationwide earn this mark of institutional excellence.
400 College Avenue
Lancaster, PA 17603
We pride ourselves on maintaining an extensive directory of nonprofit organizations. If you feel that our information is inaccurate, please let us know.