The Harrisburg Choral Society is the oldest continuously active music ensemble in South-Central Pennsylvania, and throughout its history, through ups and downs, the group has remained a fixture of the Harrisburg area’s cultural landscape.
The Society was founded in 1895, under the direction of William Wallace Gilchrist, one of the founders of the Philadelphia Orchestra.The first piece performed was Mendelssohn’s Elijah.
The Society was briefly reorganized in 1927 as “The May Festival Chorus”, annually performing Mozart’s “Grand Mass” with nationally-recognized soloists. The chorus was again reorganized in 1937 under its original name, the Harrisburg Choral Society.
The Society has maintained its traditional role of performing major works of choral literature with professional soloists and orchestral accompaniment. The Society has also included many of Harrisburg’s most influential names as part of its history, including McCormick, Boas, Reily, Calder, and Rutherford.
P.O. Box 215
Camp Hill, PA 17001
We pride ourselves on maintaining an extensive directory of nonprofit organizations. If you feel that our information is inaccurate, please let us know.