Mennonite Central Committee
Mennonite Central Committee is currently seeking a half-time Accountant. This person is part of MCCs Financial Services and is responsible to the Controller. The primary responsibility of this position is to handle accounting matters pertaining to MCC U.S. and the regions.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- 5-7 years of bookkeeping experience and knowledge of accounting software
- Proficiency in MS Office, particularly Excel spreadsheets
- MS Office: Excel, Word and Outlook experience
- Effective written and oral communication skills
- Data entry/bookkeeping skills
- Experience with standard computerized accounting system
- Experience with virtual document management / virtual invoice-approval system
- Ability to multi-task effectively
- Needs to be a self-starter, who can complete assigned tasks in a timely manner. Must perform relatively complicated data entry tasks accurately
- Demand for exacting accuracy on a continuous basis. This is a desk job with frequent use of keyboard/computer
- All MCC workers are expected to exhibit a commitment to: a personal Christian faith and discipleship; active participation in a Christian church or Christian community; and nonviolent peacemaking. MCC is an equal opportunity employer, committed to employment equity. MCC values diversity and invites all qualified candidates to apply.
- Invitations to work with MCC are contingent on the successful outcome of background check(s).
- Legal eligibility to be employed in the U.S. is required.
- Initiative and Ingenuity
- Initiates contact with accounting staff and managers frequently. Upholds accounting standards, uses discretion, monitors accounting and financial policy. Work is reviewed by Senior Accountant and Controller. Plans and performs work for self and others of moderate complexity. Analyzes facts and data, recognizes errors and uses standard accounting principles to determine best course of action. Must use judgment to make decisions in adjustments and processes. Handles confidential information and / or data.
- Mental/Physical/Visual Demand
- Requires continuous application of mental and visual attention for frequent periods, works on complex operations/problems occasionally.
- Communication/Interpersonal Skills
- Assists regional accounting staff in problem solving. Should have a general knowledge of MCC policies and procedures and is usually the first contact for policy-related questions from regional finance representatives. Interprets and explains bookkeeping requirements to staff and managers. Oral and written/electronic communications skills are essential to providing good customer service for both internal and external individuals. Prepares work for others’ approval.
- Prepare and post general journal entries for MCC US activity, as requested by Controller or Senior Accountant
- Assure that proper routing, account-coding and approvals for all general-ledger postings is entered in the paperless accounts-payable processing system.
- Maintain the asset ledgers for MCC regional programs. Enter fixed asset additions and deletions for regions before running monthly depreciation postings. Adjust capital-reserve funds and plant and equipment balances monthly.
- Maintain regional designated-contribution schedules.
- Review and post general ledger entries, entered by regional office finance staff, to the regional general ledgers.
- Maintain and modify formats of financial reports for the regional-program offices, as necessary.
- Work with regional finance staff to insure adequate review and maintenance of regional bank balances, cash advances, accounts receivable and long-term receivable accounts.
- Reconcile US and regional bank and cash accounts, as needed, to insure proper segregation of accounting duties and timely completion of all necessary reconciliations.
- Assist regional finance staff with budget preparation and compliance with regional expense policies.
- Assist Senior Accountant and Controller with preparation for annual financial audit.
- Assist regional finance staff with maintaining accurate 1099-vendor records.
- Assist in entering US payables; prepare and process check payments and ACH direct-deposit transfers as a back-up for Accounting Assistant when they are absent.
- Prepare bank deposit and record general ledger entries for non-contribution cash receipts.
- Respond to inquiries from regional finance staff regarding payment and expense reimbursement policies.
- Help regional finance staff problem-solve issues and challenges regarding their bookkeeping activity, their use of MS Dynamics accounting software and various report-generation utilities.
To learn more and apply, https://mcc.org/get-involved/serve/openings/us-accountant
Applications Close Date: February 16, 2020