Brethren Village Retirement Community is seeking caring and dependable Therapeutic Recreation Assistants. These are great opportunities for qualified individuals seeking experience in a health care environment, and who will enjoy working with an older adult population.
Brethren Village continuously practices proper infection control, to help keep our Residents and Team Members safe.
The Therapeutic Recreation Assistant coordinates a wide-variety of recreational and fitness activities for older adult Residents in our Skilled Nursing Facility, to enhance their physical, social, and cognitive well-being. The Therapeutic Recreation Assistant helps plan, implement, and evaluate activities for Residents, including Residents experiencing cognitive or physical impairment, based on each Resident’s needs and preferences. The Therapeutic Recreation Assistant works cooperatively with C.N.A.’s, Nurses, and other Therapeutic Recreation staff to meet the needs of each Resident.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- helping to plan, coordinate, and lead daily activities and events for Residents in the Skilled Nursing Facility
- identifying new activities for Residents, based on best-practice and department objectives
- escorting Residents to on-site activities / pushing adult Residents in wheelchairs as needed
- assisting Residents to eat and drink during activities as needed
- interacting with and conversing with Residents on a regular basis
- providing excellent service and care to Residents at all times, and working cooperatively and professionally with supervisors, nursing staff, aides, and other Team Members
- The ability to safely push adult Residents in wheelchairs, lift and move fitness equipment, and stand and walk frequently during the shift is required
- Must be able and willing to work every other Saturday, Sunday, and holiday
- Part-time: 8:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. or 9:00 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.; every other Monday and Friday, every other weekend, every other holiday
- Team Members are typically asked to report during inclement weather.
Required Core Competencies and Qualifications:
- a high school diploma or G.E.D.
- dependability: ability and willingness to meet attendance standards
- basic computer skills: the ability to access and navigate web sites, and use applications and databases independently
- the ability to read and to complete online training independently
- commitment to consistently working in a safe manner, wearing protective equipment as required for the position, and adhering to all health and safety standards
- the ability and willingness to interact in a productive and professional manner with colleagues
- the ability to form positive and supportive relationships with Residents, and to provide exceptional care and service to others
- ability and willingness to represent Brethren Village and carry out responsibilities in a manner aligned with our core values of caring, integrity, stewardship, and excellence
Additional Requirements for This Position:
- at least age 18
- previous related work or volunteer experience, or training/education
- comfort interacting with adults with dementia or memory loss
- an understanding of the aging process and recreation and social activities suitable for an older adult population
- an understanding of how to safely perform exercises
- experience and effectiveness planning, coordinating, leading, and evaluating programs and activities
- effective interpersonal and communication skills; comfort speaking in front of groups and with older adults; comfort leading group activities
- strong initiative
- the ability to safely push adult Residents in wheelchairs, lift and move fitness equipment, and stand and walk frequently during the shift
- the ability to work some Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays
Brethren Village maintains a drug-free, alcohol-free, and tobacco-free work environment. Smoking is not permitted at any time during work hours, in any indoor or outdoor areas.
Offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of a reference check; verification of education and credentials; a criminal background verification; and a post-offer physical exam and drug screen.