The senior international accountant is responsible for serving as a finance business partner to a subset of HOPE’s international programs. The senior international accountant will work with local accounting staff to ensure strong accounting and finance practices and compliance with HOPE’s accounting policies and procedures, particularly as it relates to the consolidation of local financial statements into HOPE International. The senior international accountant will work closely with internal audit, finance, and operations staff of HOPE in Lancaster and the local finance staff in the countries we serve.
- Location: Lancaster, PA preferred; Remote possible in U.S., United States
- Level: Professional
- Type: Full-time
- Department: Finance
- Reports to: Manager of international accounting
- Promote and fulfill the mission and vision of HOPE International.
Compliance and Policies
- Help ensure compliance with the accounting practices and procedures of HOPE. Understand local policies and report differences between their policies and HOPE’s overall policies. The senior international accountant will also maintain HOPE’s accounting policies related to its international entities and will improve them as necessary in coordination with HOPE’s assistant director of international accounting, ensuring that HOPE stays up to date with relevant US GAAP or IFRS standards.
- Work closely with internal audit and compliance/quality assurance to monitor that appropriate controls are in place and followed.
- Assist local accounting staff in ensuring compliance with local central bank standards and appropriate local accounting practices.
- Assist the manager of international accounting with the review, approval, and monitoring of policies impacting financial information at the local level.
Technical Accounting and Analysis
- Act as a liaison between HOPE and the local programs’ finance departments.
- Identify and help resolve accounting and transaction discrepancies; work with the local finance teams to provide detailed explanations to the manager of international accounting for variances between actual and planned month to month activities.
- Help to ensure that an appropriate, regular monthly close process is in place in each MFI and the process is being followed.
- Help to improve and support the local accounting staff’s abilities through training and direct assistance.
- Provide financial and accounting support to MFIs during their annual audit processes and other formal ratings/reviews.
- Support MFIs in liquidity management, including consulting on strategy for successfully receiving and properly recording fund transfers (from HOPE and other stakeholders) at the programs in accordance with local regulations.
- Liaise with other HOPE staff to review reporting from MFIs and use it to construct management reporting.
- Influence the alignment of priorities by providing timely and actionable information to stakeholders.
- Identify, communicate, and mitigate risks including those caused by changes in personnel, location, structure, product, systems, etc.
- Assist in due diligence projects related to MFI financial health and structure.
Consolidation and Forecasting
- Be responsible for the preparation and accuracy of the international program portion of the consolidated financial statements, working closely together with HOPE’s manager of international accounting. Identify and respond to differences in recording country specific GAAP (IFRS) and US GAAP.
- Assist MFIs during their semi-annual budget and budget reforecast processes.
- Proactively identify and recommend technological enhancements that will improve the efficiency and efficacy of finance and accounting related activities.
- Undertake special projects as designated by the manager of international accounting and director of finance.
- Personal confession of Christian faith and commitment to the mission and vision of HOPE International.
- CPA license preferred
- Proficient in US GAAP and knowledgeable in IFRS
- Two plus years of audit experience, with supervisory experience preferred
- Experience planning and implementing audit procedures
- Experience providing training to peers
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Confident self-starter with the ability to work independently
- Strong working knowledge of Excel and Word
- Experience in financial services is a plus
- Knowledge in NetSuite is a plus
- Willing to travel internationally up to approximately 30 nights per year
- Willing to travel to countries in East Africa, Central Africa, and others
- Strong cross-cultural communication skills
- Knowledge of French, Spanish, or other relevant languages is a plus