The Public Works Department Laborer is responsible for performing manual tasks that are required to properly maintain and operate the Borough streets, parking lots, storm and sanitary and sewer collection systems, parks, buildings and properties. This job requires light and heavy physical labor and indoor and outdoor work consistent with the operations of the Public Works Department. This position is responsible for operating power tools, construction and maintenance equipment and vehicles. Evening and weekend work may be required. The Public Works Department Laborer reports directly to the Street Department Supervisor or his/her designee.
- Operate the Borough’s construction and maintenance equipment such as roller, loader, etc.
- Perform routine maintenance and repair on vehicles and equipment; change oil, grease, and other duties as required to keep equipment and vehicles in operating condition.
- Wash and service vehicles and equipment as needed.
- Perform plowing operations to remove snow and ice from Borough streets and sidewalks.
- Perform maintenance, repairs and installation to the storm sewer system and sanitary sewer system.
- Assist with the street paving program.
- Blacktop streets, parking lots, and alleys as required.
- Patch potholes in streets and alleys as necessary.
- Participate in painting of lines on streets and parking lots when necessary.
- Sweep sidewalks and streets as required.
- Restore utility ditches.
- Remove leaves and debris from storm grates and basins.
- Install and maintain street signs.
- Perform maintenance and repairs on sidewalks, parking meters, and other items to include brickwork and tree grates in the downtown area.
- Maintain banners and do other work for special events in the downtown area as required.
- Perform routine maintenance and monitor the use and condition of park property, the train station, and the downtown area.
- Mow and trim grass as needed; remove brush from Borough properties and stream banks.
- Repair and maintain property, pavilions, and playground equipment found in Borough parks.
- Repair and maintain athletic fields and courts.
- Keep Borough buildings clean and in organized conditions; keep supplies and equipment in a neat and orderly fashion.
- Serve in an on-call capacity as operations require.
- Perform other related work as required.
- Knowledge of hand tools and power tools and their proper use.
- Ability to use small tools and machinery.
- Ability to lift and carry heavy bags, supplies, and other equipment up to 100 lbs. in weight.
- Ability to properly operate a skid loader and front-end loader.
- Ability to routinely climb into and out of pickup trucks, dump trucks, and other Borough equipment used for operation and maintenance.
- Ability to climb into and out of manholes, catch basins and trenches in order to inspect and complete Public Works projects.
- Ability to walk up to five (5) miles through rough terrain to inspect and maintain the Wastewater Treatment Plant outflow facilities.
- Knowledge of the principles of sanitary and storm sewer line installation and repairs.
- Ability to learn the principles of automotive equipment operation.
- Ability to learn basic servicing of motor vehicles.
- Knowledge of the hazards and safety precautions concerning automotive equipment.
- Ability to stand for lengthy periods of time.
- Capable of following instructions and directions.
- Ability to work compatibly with colleagues and general public.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- High school graduate or equivalent; vocational training beneficial.
- Valid Pennsylvania driver’s license.
- Valid Commercial Driver’s License (CDL).
- Ability to perform light and heavy physical labor, lifting, and indoor and outdoor work as consistent with the operations of the Public Works Department.