Water Street Mission
Job Summary: As a part of the Partner Relations team at Water Street, the Church Ambassador advances Water Street’s mission by deepening partnerships with Churches in Lancaster County. The Ambassador is responsible for the overall marketing and communication strategy for churches as well as account management for a small portfolio of strategic partners. The Partner Relations team builds joyful partnerships at the intersection of Water Street’s greatest needs and our partner’s philanthropic priorities. We use a moves management process to deepen relationship and invite partnership. Partnership opportunities are drawn from a portfolio of financial needs established by the Leadership Team; these opportunities include the annual fund, strategic funding priorities, EITC, and sponsorship opportunities. The Church Ambassador also invites churches to volunteer which includes serving directly on campus or running a donation drive. The collaborative culture of our team emphasizes helping each other develop and execute personalized engagement strategies, learning together how to best serve donors and tell the Water Street story. While meeting financial goals is important, we prioritize doing the right behaviors as often as possible over simply closing gifts. Team performance is more important than individual performance. This team also works closely with others in the Advancement Department to execute fund raising events that draw specific audiences into closer partnership with WSM.
1. Work with the Marketing Team to develop and execute the marketing plan for churches, including print and digital communication that tell our story and invite people to join us in mission.
2. Manage a portfolio of current and prospective church partners through a combination of face to face visits, phone calls, personal notes, and email.
3. Develop, execute and improve processes associated with recruiting volunteers from churches in partnership with other members of the Advancement team and staff in other departments. This includes recruiting volunteers for the Weekend Winter Day Shelter.
4. Support Compelled by Love, our 1-day conference for churches, through marketing and personal invitations. This conference invites Lancaster County pastors and lay leaders to think together about mobilizing their congregations into local mission for the sake of their members’ spiritual growth and the shalom of Lancaster.
5. Develop, execute and improve processes associated with our Speakers Bureau.
6. Meet or exceed agreed upon annual objectives with respect to direct partner engagement, invitations to support through cash, volunteering and GIK, and associated financial objectives.
7. Support all internal fundraising events.
8. Know and effectively communicate the ethos, vision and mission of all aspects of Water Street Mission, including all approved funding priorities.
9. Meet or exceed department standards regarding knowing and maintaining electronic donor files including entering meeting reports in our donor database.
10. Use our moves management process to prepare personalized engagement strategies for the donors in your portfolio. This includes developing outlines of your goal for meetings with our partners, including Water Street Ministries Job Description Church Ambassador Page 2 9/1/2020 what questions you may ask, what questions you anticipate, and what outcomes you expect that will inform next steps in deepening that partnership.
11. A commitment to include the President, Leadership Team or other “expert witnesses” as part of the donor cultivation process. This includes supporting the “expert witness” by preparing and discussing a standardized briefing with the expert. It is expected that all Ambassadors will include the VP of Advancement in meetings on a regular basis.
12. A commitment to create a collaborative, learning community in Advancement, living out our core value of “Grace is our Model” while contributing to each other’s professional and spiritual growth. This includes coming to Partner Relations team meetings ready to ask for help with donor strategy and plans as well as strengthen each other’s strategies and plans.
13. Develop the working knowledge necessary to track activities (‘moves management’) in donor management software (Raisers Edge) and project management software (Basecamp).
14. Work in partnership with other members of the Advancement team to develop specialized mail campaigns, primarily at calendar and fiscal year end, to increase donor involvement.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS
• Demonstrate a passion for connecting with supporters of Water Street Mission
• Demonstrated ability to provide outstanding customer service
• Outstanding verbal communication and interpersonal skills
• Excellent writing and organizational skills
• Desire to work collaboratively
• Experience in working with a CMS and CRM Database Software (Raisers’ Edge would be an advantage)
• Proficient with Word, PowerPoint and Excel
• Ability to work independently and manage time effectively
• Must demonstrate the ability to make good decisions independently
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
The ideal Partner Relations Team Member will possess:
• Motivation to see the lives of hurting men, women, and children restored
• Possess a bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 3 to 5 years of related work experience in a sales, public relations or fundraising environment
• Experience maintaining and growing relationships with individuals and groups
• Person of integrity who can present strong character and employment references