Lancaster Science Factory
Job Title: Outreach Educator
Location: Lancaster, PA office headquarters with travel within 50 miles.
- $18 Hourly
- This is a full-time, hourly position.
- Potential for advancement within the organization.
- Paid time off and employer-matched retirement plan.
The Outreach Educator will be responsible for the delivery of all Lancaster Science Factory “To Go” outreach programs, all of which inspire curiosity and learning in STEM disciplines among Pre-K through 8th grade students. The Outreach Educator will also lead summer camps as part of a larger education team. In-house programs may be assigned as needed.
This position will be responsible for representing the Lancaster Science Factory in a variety of settings, including but not limited to schools, libraries, youth-serving nonprofits, and community events. Programs will be scheduled in advance and include time for preparation, travel, setup, and clean up. The Outreach Educator will receive training from members of the STEM Education team, to lead and facilitate programs successfully.
- Lead and facilitate high-quality STEM education programs to students in Pre-K through 8th
- Provide clear and friendly communication to teachers and staff at the organizations being served.
- Prepare for programs in advance, arrive at locations on time, set up all materials, and return the space provided in the same condition it was received.
- Communicate materials and consumable supply needs in a timely manner.
- Operation of the LSF To Go Van for travel to and from locations. Travel within 50 miles of the Lancaster Science Factory.
- Record keeping related to delivering programs, including administering surveys and tracking number of students served.
- Other duties as required.
Reports to: Director of Programs and Communications
A well-qualified candidate will have a bachelor’s degree in education. Experience managing a classroom in a formal or informal setting is a MUST. Enthusiasm and commitment to the Science Factory’s non-profit mission are essential.
- Comfortable with public speaking to groups of students and teachers. Outstanding communication skills.
- Professional, friendly demeanor and highly organized.
- Interest and enthusiasm for STEM education.
- Acts with a high degree of integrity and independence.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and the ability to learn new programs as required.
- Able to carry out the Science Factory’s mission outside our four walls in the community.
Schedule and Working Conditions
- Outreach Programs are generally scheduled Monday – Friday with some weekends and evenings, scheduled in advance.
- Physical office location at the Lancaster Science Factory.
- Must hold a valid Pennsylvania driver’s license. Will drive the Science Factory to Go van to outreach destinations within 50 miles.
- Must be able to lift up to 40 lbs. Routine loading/unloading of van, moving folding tables and chairs and carrying educational supplies and exhibits short distances.
- This position must hold Pennsylvania criminal and child abuse clearances. Outside locations may require additional clearances. Any offer of employment is contingent upon successful completion of the clearance process.
- The Lancaster Science Factory is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Founded in 2008, The Lancaster Science Factory’s non-profit mission is to inspire curiosity, creativity, and confidence by fostering an inclusive environment for hands-on STEM exploration. We actively seek to make our facility and educational programs accessible to all.
Interested candidates can send their resume and cover letter to:
Amanda Bakay, Director of Programs and Communications
454 New Holland Ave
Lancaster, PA 17602