The Major Gift Officer’s responsibilities include facilitating and securing major gift support for priority projects and endowments, as well as securing general annual support from assigned portfolio of major gift prospects. Reporting to the Associate Vice President for Advancement, other responsibilities include identifying, cultivating and soliciting high asset prospects for philanthropic support of the University; working with other development staff, University administrators, faculty, key volunteers and other staff in securing major gifts; working within budget regarding annual expenditures on assigned projects. Starting salary range: $65,000.00 (commensurate with experience) annually with comprehensive benefits package including undergraduate tuition waiver for employee/dependents.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Three years experience in development or fundraising.
*Three years experience in direct major gift fundraising in a non-profit or education setting.
- Proficiency with Word, Excel, Outlook and databases.
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to:
o Organize resources.
o Manage relationships.
o Assess and utilize demographic and/or financial data.
o Design and prepare statistical and outcome reports.
o Establish priorities.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and equity
- Completion of a successful interview and background checks.
- Five years of direct major gift fundraising experience in higher education.
- Digital Communication Skills.
- Knowledge of:
o Fundraising databases.
o Federal, state and/or community funding sources and mechanisms.
- Develop and implement annual and long-term plans to cultivate and solicit major philanthropic support for University priority projects and for general support from assigned prospects.
- Manage assigned pool of major gift prospects.
- Identify new prospects with capacity to make a major gift to the University.
- Serve as liaison between University and prospects.
- Provide stewardship to assigned prospect pool.
- Serve as liaison between Development and the assigned volunteer committees.
- Coordinate Campaign Priority Committee as assigned.
- Maintain current knowledge of fundraising policies, gift vehicles, giving trends and University policies and procedures.
- Prepare reports evaluating fundraising activities.