Starting rate for Line Chef = $14.50; Cook = $12.30. Generous paid time-off and other benefits are provided to full-time Team Members, as well as free use of onsite fitness facilities and discounted meals.
Brethren Village Retirement Community has opportunities for Line Chefs and Prep. Cooks. Our Line Chefs and Cooks have the opportunity to work in a full service restaurant open to the public; a bistro; and in our health care facility cafe, under the guidance of an experienced Chef. Our Chefs and Cooks also assist with large campus events and fine-dining functions.
Brethren Village continuously practices proper infection control and social distancing, to keep our Residents, Team Members, and dining guests safe.
Brethren Village Line Chefs and Cooks typically have every other weekend and holiday off, with no or very limited late night work hours. A comprehensive benefits package is offered to full-time Team Members.
Primary Responsibilities Include (commensurate with experience):
- Preparing a wide-variety of menu items per recipes, standard procedures, and requests / preferences of Residents, Team Members, and other dining guests.
- Using a variety of food preparation techniques to prepare appetizers, salads, sauces, entrees, side dishes, and desserts. With direction from the Executive Chef, experimenting with new cooking techniques and recipes.
- Under the direction of the Dietitian or Dining Manager, preparing meals for Residents in Skilled Care and/or Personal Care areas, adhering to each Resident’s dietary restrictions.
- Properly and efficiently preparing meals as ordered, helping to ensure meals meet the expectations of dining guests.
- Consistently adhering to Brethren Village policy, protocols, and state and federal regulations with respect to food safety. Ensuring proper food handling, preparation, and storage. Consistently working in a safe manner with cooking tools and equipment.
- Assisting to prepare, deliver, and serve food and beverages for special functions, including large campus events, outdoor dining events, and fine-dining functions.
- Providing exceptional service to Residents, Team Members, and other dining guests.
- Full-time: Typically 5:30 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. and/or 10:30 a.m. – 7:00 p.m., including every other weekend and holiday. Work days and hours may vary from week to week.
- Part-time: Typically 5:30 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. and/or 10:30 a.m. – 7:00 p.m., 3 days per week including every other weekend and holiday. Work days and hours may vary from week to week.
Required Core Competencies and Qualifications:
- a high school diploma or G.E.D.
- dependability: ability and willingness to meet attendance standards
- basic computer skills: the ability to access and navigate web sites, and use applications and databases independently
- the ability to read and to complete online training independently
- commitment to consistently working in a safe and hygienic manner, wearing protective equipment as required for the position, and adhering to all health and safety standards
- the ability and willingness to interact in a productive and professional manner with colleagues
- the ability to form positive and supportive relationships with Residents and other clients, and to provide exceptional service to others
- ability and willingness to represent Brethren Village and carry out responsibilities in a manner aligned with our core values of caring, integrity, stewardship, and excellence
Additional Requirements for This Position:
- at least 1 year experience with food preparation in a restaurant, diner, fast-food establishment, health care facility, college, or similar setting (additional, relevant experience is required for Line Chef positions), OR successful completion of formal training through a culinary program (current culinary students are welcome to apply)
- the ability to read and carefully follow recipes and food preparation schedules
- knowledge of safe food handling regulations – a food safety / “ServSafe” certificate preferred; ability and willingness to consistently adhere to all relevant food safety regulations
- ability to remain calm and work effectively in a fast-paced environment
- the ability to stand for an entire work day; to walk frequently; and to lift and carry 25 lbs. on a routine basis
- ability and willingness to work every other weekend and holiday
Brethren Village maintains a drug-free, alcohol-free, and tobacco-free work environment. Smoking is not permitted at any time during work hours, in any indoor or outdoor areas.
Offers of employment are contingent upon the successful completion of a reference check; verification of education and credentials; a criminal background verification; and a post-offer physical exam and drug screen.