The Demuth Foundation oversees the operations of both the Demuth Museum and the Lancaster Museum of Art in downtown Lancaster, PA. The Demuth Museum preserves and promotes the legacy of modernist painter Charles Demuth, while the Lancaster Museum of Art focuses on regional artists and their work. Both museums offer unique exhibitions and engaging programs for both local and out-of-town visitors, and together see over 10,000 guests annually. The Foundation employees 3 full-time and 5 part-time staff, and has an operating budget of $470,000 in FY2021.
The Finance and Administration Assistant will work closely with the Executive Director to perform bookkeeping, process payroll, maintain employee benefits programs, and operate a small nonprofit office. This part-time position includes accounting data entry, filing, scheduling, purchasing, and inventorying.
Responsibilities and Duties
Finance tasks (approx. 8 hours/week)
- Enter all payables and deposits into QuickBooks. Print checks for Director’s signature and mail. File all deposit and bill paperwork.
- Submit monthly and quarterly state and federal taxes as necessary.
- Prepare financial reports monthly.
- Submit timesheets to payroll company every two weeks. Maintain timecard records.
- Track employee PTO.
- Manage IRA and HRA programs.
- Assist Director with preparations for annual financial review, 990 filing, and budget development.
Administration tasks (approx. 4 hours/week)
- Inventory gift shop, track sales, and process consignment payments.
- Keep office supplies organized and order items as necessary.
- Maintain all office equipment, including copiers, printers, computers, and phones.
- General filing and maintenance of museums’ business archives.
- Assist with museum events, including fundraising programs.
- Other tasks as assigned.
Ideal education, training, and characteristics for the Finance and Administration Assistant position include:
- Accounting or finance background. Experience with QuickBooks a must.
- Minimum of Associate’s Degree, and 1-3 years work experience, preferably in nonprofit setting
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel, and G Suite
- Performs accurate data entry
- Ability to generate and analyze reports
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work independently and supportive in a team environment
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Detail-oriented and organized
- Interest in art and museums
- administrative: 1 year (Preferred)
- QuickBooks: 1 year (Required)
- Associate (Required)