The Family Services Advocate works from the Compass Mark main office and the Lancaster County Prison. This position gathers referrals that identify the children of the incarcerated within Lancaster County and provide case management support services to both the children and their caregivers. The Family Services Advocate will organize and facilitate special visitation within Lancaster County Prison. Advocacy for this special population of children may include speaking engagements, public education materials creation, and other related work pertaining to the cause of children with incarcerated parents. This position may supervise up to two additional case managers.
1. Receives and/or responds to referrals of identified children of the incarcerated from community, schools, and Lancaster County Prison
2. Assess the level need for children and their caregiver/s after the time of intake, and provide support resources and referrals for those identified needs
3. Offers resources to obtain Legal Guardianship documentation to caregivers as deemed appropriate and necessary
4. Maintain accurate and regular documentation of all services provided and regularly update these records as the case progresses
5. Identifies, organizes, and meets all parameters for requests of special visitation between parents and children within the Lancaster County Prison
6. Facilitate special family visits as possible and appropriate
7. Works closely to advocate for child conscious policy and procedures within the prison system
8. Regularly reviews trends, resources, and needs pertaining to this specific population and identifies programmatic adjustments, needs and solutions
9. Identify and participate within community collaborations, coalitions, and events that further the cause of children with incarcerated parents
10. May Supervise up to two additional Case Managers
11. Provide a monthly report of all program activities to the Director of Operations
12. Ensure timely and accurate input of all case management services, surveys and records into the Apricot system.
13. Answer all telephone inquiries regarding services for children with incarcerated parents, and contact agencies on behalf of a caller as requested and appropriate.
14. Support the mission of Compass Mark in the community and adhere to the agency’s core values.
15. Provide Prevention Specialist with identified FSA clients that would benefit from information and referral services as appropriate and necessary
16. Annually provide external evaluators with required data for outcomes for statistical analysis
17. Participate on SAP training team as other duties and work schedule allows
18. Facilitate, train, and schedule groups of Concrete Shoulders programming
Education & Skills: Bachelor’s degree in Social Services, Criminal Justice or other field, and minimum of two years of experience providing case management services. Previous experience working with highrisk populations required, or any combination of education training and experience that demonstrates the ability to perform the duties of the position. Exceptional organizational skills and communication skills, with a clear knowledge of mental health, substance abuse and the criminal justice system. Experience in the delivery of services to clients though case management, helpline operation, or crisis response. Must have a working knowledge of software programs including MS Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, & PowerPoint).
Qualities: High attention to detail with strong analyzation skills. Able to complete job tasks with limited supervision. Strong organizational skills and capacity to manage multiple projects; Must be flexible and capable of working in fast-moving yet at times ambiguous community context, while maintaining focus on clear solutions; Ability to work in a multicultural and diverse environment utilizing collaborative and team-oriented approaches; Commitment to high professional ethical standards.
Language & Reasoning: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret information. Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, including being able to create written reports and respond to questions. Ability to solve practical problems and interpret a variety of instructions in written and oral form.
Travel: Employee must have willingness to travel and access to reliable transportation. The employee must also possess a valid driver’s license and required vehicle insurance.
Work Environment and Physical Demands: The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, sit and reach with hands and arms. Must be able to move about the office to access files and equipment, and operate a telephone, mouse, and keyboard. The employee must be able to occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Other abilities required by this job include the ability to adjust focus, concentrate for extended periods of time, and talk and hear. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Email a cover letter and resumé to Liz Sanchez-Stanley, firstname.lastname@example.org, or mail to: Compass Mark, 1891 Santa Barbara Drive Suite 104, Lancaster, PA 17601. No phone calls, please.