GOTR of Lancaster and Lebanon
The Executive Director is a highly-talented nonprofit professional and game changer who provides leadership, vision and direction to the council and the broader Girls on the Run organization. The Executive Director represents the council to the public, leads organizational development and strategic planning, optimizes financial performance, oversees program delivery in the designated territory, builds donor relationships and oversees an engaged team. The Executive Director works closely with the council’s Board of Directors, Girls on the Run International Headquarters, and Junior Board and is responsible for expanding systems and procedures to accomplish the mission and reach the strategic goals set forth by the board.
The Executive Director develops organizational strategy, sound practices and supportive relationships, both internally and externally, resulting in cooperative and effective collaborations and partnerships that further the mission of Girls on the Run.
The Girls on the Run® Executive Director (ED) must possess a passion for, and commitment to, improving the lives and opportunities of girls in third through eighth grades. The ED continually is enhancing the “continuum of confidence” that all engaged stakeholders enjoy. Some of the key responsibilities falling within these areas include:
Operational and Staff Management
- Attracting, developing and retaining staff.
- Developing and fostering a strong and open dialogue with the Board of Directors and Girls on the Run International.
- Maintaining appropriate staffing structure; overseeing recruiting, training, development.
Program Development and Strategic Planning
- Planning, in coordination with the Board and staff, for the direction and leadership of the overall program; develops and implements a council growth plan the addresses program and site development strategies.
- Ensuring the successful implementation of quality programming.
- Demonstrating an understanding of GOTR Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) and tracking progress toward meeting organizational goals.
- Cultivating relationships with coaches, donors, parents, participants, sponsors and volunteers.
- Overseeing management of end of season 5K’s.
- Acting as ambassador to represent Girls on the Run’s mission and programs.
- Oversight of all committees, including purpose and outcomes.
- Ensuring that the organization is in compliance with all laws and guidelines governing nonprofit organizations and the Girls on the Run International Membership Agreement, Policies and Guidelines.
- Retaining and enhancing a governance culture.
- Developing and implementing necessary policies and procedures.
- In coordination with the Board, identifying and planning for infrastructure growth to parallel growth of program.
- Establishing efficient business systems and strategies and ensuring appropriate implementation.
- Maintaining ethical standards and accountability, manage risk, perform due diligence, and implement operational best practices.
- Executing all financial, operational and programmatic reports to GOTR International and to state and local funding agencies in a timely manner.
- Fund development and Community Relations.
- Developing diverse funding streams and long-term plans to best support the mission and goals of the organization in collaboration with appropriate staff, committees and Board of Directors.
- Overseeing fundraising efforts including sponsorship, donor cultivation, solicitation and stewardship, grants, special events, etc.
- Actively participating in donor cultivation and solicitation.
- Developing collaborative projects/partnerships with other community providers.
- Developing relationships with the local media and serve as the Girls on the Run primary contact to market the program and build additional community support.
- Partnering with Girls on the Run International to maximize Cause Related Marketing and other national opportunities locally.
- Ensuring optimal financial performance of the council with Treasurer, finance staff and appropriate committees.
- Maintaining processes for proper record keeping and internal financial controls.
- Assisting Board of Directors with development and management of annual budget.
- Reviewing and reporting all financial activities to the board on a regular basis in conjunction with the Treasurer and finance staff.
- Reviewing analysis of financial activities (income and expense) to discern trends, identify areas of improvement, address problems and develop forecasts.
Description of ideal talents
- The ideal candidate will be comfortable engaging in both strategic activities as well as taking a hands-on role with regards to program execution and administrative issues.
- A growth mindset and strong leadership talent with a focus on optimizing strengths. Thought leader, kind, intentional, balance of vision and detail, governance experience, media relations knowledge, financial leadership, long term planning, writing talents, technology knowledge, a connector, team player and the talent to maximize potential of GOTR staff and volunteers.
- Also required: Innovative thinker, open hearted, and entrepreneurial.
- Passion for the Girls on the Run mission and the ability to comprehend and effectively communicate issues surrounding empowerment, self-esteem, body image and wholeperson health.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher
- Minimum of seven years of demonstrated experience with organizational management; non-profit management preferred but not required.
- Demonstrated ability of building and leading teams
- Outstanding communication skills in multiple environments and with a range of audiences (internal and external)
- Demonstrated experience setting and managing budgets and financial forecasting
- Ability to multitask, prioritize and make efficient decisions
- Flexible and adaptable
- Strategic planning experience
- Succession planning experience
- Experience with Girls on the Run (or other similar youth or wellness programs)
- Non-profit management experience
- Fundraising experience
- Experience working with a Board of Directors
- Connections to the local community
If interested, please submit the following to HumanResources@gotrlancaster.org with “Supersonic ED” in the subject line
- A current resume highlighting your experiences and talents
- A letter expressing why you should be considered as an optimal candidate for the role of Executive Director for Girls on the Run of Lancaster and Lebanon
- Please be sure to highlight how Girls on the Run aligns with your personal and professional values, talents and experiences