Berks County Public Libraries
The Robesonia Public Library is searching for its next Library Director. The library is part of the Berks County Public Library System and serves the residents in Robesonia Borough, North Heidelberg Township, and Heidelberg Township. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled. This is a salaried position: $28,000 per year with a 30-hour work week, paid vacation, and holidays.
Duties: The Library Director is responsible for daily and long range library operations including the supervision and hiring of library personnel. This position reports directly to the Library Board of Trustees. The Library Director is expected to work 30 hours per week, but may be scheduled to work additional hours as needed.
- Implements library policies and procedures as adopted and revised by the Library Board. Maintains the library in accordance with Berks County Public Library System and the Pennsylvania Library Code & Regulations.
- Reports to and works closely with the Board of Trustees in developing long range plans for library development, policies, and fundraising opportunities.
- Serves as ex officio member of the Library Board of Trustees, providing a monthly librarian’s report detailing other past month and proposed plans for future plans and projects.
- Attends System Librarians’ meetings.
- Promotes library services by providing an active program of public relations, including a robust digital presence across various platforms, attending speaking engagements, etc.
- Creates, publicizes, and coordinates library programs and services to meet the needs of the patrons served by the Robesonia Community Library.
- Closely oversees all programs and works closely with the Youth Services Coordinator, keeping programming fresh, relevant and interesting for our patrons.
- Provides reference and library advisory service to patrons.
- Coordinates and oversees monthly delivery of materials to Furnace Creek Manor Senior Apartments.
- Aggressively researches and applies for grants.
- Supervises, schedules, sets work standards and trains personnel.
- Recruits, trains and supervises all volunteers and assigns duties as needed.
- Selects, orders and weeds library materials and supplies.
- Makes recommendations for the annual library budget. Seeks Library Board’s approval when the purchase price of any single item is in excess of $300.00 or any combination of items is in excess of $400.00.
- Provides or delegates necessary circulation and clerical duties.
- Maintains the library facilities.
- Prepares and maintains accurate reports and statistical data as required by the Office of Commonwealth Libraries and local library system requirements regarding operations.
- Attends Friends of the Library meetings as needed to request funds for library services and events.
- Works harmoniously with and utilizes the services and consultants provided by the Berks County Public Library System, the Reading District Library Center.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Library Board of Trustees within the context of the position as Library Director of the Robesonia Community Library.
- Although the library employs a part-time bookkeeper, the Library Director is responsible for the day to day accounting of routine and minor expenses.
- Great willingness to provide quality library service to a diverse community in the service area.
- Displays a friendly, tactful, and courteous attitude.
- Creates good will and works effectively with local officials, staff, community leaders, and the public.
- Indicates interest in continuing education and staff development.
- A broad understanding of library services, organization, administration, and finance.
- Ability to work independently, receiving only general instruction from the Library Board of Trustees.
- Ability to use and troubleshoot computers, printers, copiers, FAX machine, telephones, e-readers, etc.
- Knowledge of library computer applications, internet, ACCESS PA, Power Library and databases provided by District Library Center.
- Adheres to System Requirements for Member Libraries within the Berks County Public Libraries.
- PA Criminal Background Check, Childline Child Abuse Clearance, FBI Criminal Background Check, and Mandated Reporting Training are required.
- Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation are required.
- Two years of college education minimum (including 9 credits in library science from an accredited institution) required.
- Minimum certification by the Pennsylvania Department of Education as Library Assistant required, Provisional Librarian certification preferred.