Congregation Shaarai Shomayim
Development and Communications Manager
The Development and Communications Manager plans and implements the development and communications programs of Congregation Shaarai Shomayim, a vibrant and community-minded Reform Jewish synagogue in Lancaster, Pennsylvania. The temple provides religious services, educational instruction, cultural events and other programs for its members and the community.
This position requires a proactive approach to problem solving, with a focus on initiative, creativity and leadership. Strong interpersonal skills, excellent written and verbal communication skills, time-management skills and an attention to detail are necessary. The Development and Communications Manager must have expertise working with communications technology, including social media. Main areas of responsibility include (a) identify and create effective communications appropriate across multiple audiences including social media outlets, (b) manage website content proactively and timely, and (c) plan, coordinate and administer development activities.
This position reports to the President of the Board of Directors, and involves significant interaction with the Rabbi, the Operations Manager, the Board of Directors (particularly Board members assigned to development and communications), volunteers, and other congregation members. This position requires the ability to work as part of a team, and also independently under minimal supervision. This is a full-time (40 hour) creative professional position, which is exempt from overtime eligibility. There is potential for hybrid work (at least partially in the office), and a somewhat flexible schedule. The salary range is $45,500 to $55,000 (depending upon experience and skills), plus contributions toward health care benefits.
Specific Job Duties and Essential Functions:
- Design, coordinate content and create collateral materials for annual “pledge” process.
- Implement pledge process including initial mailer and rounds of reminders through payment.
- Monitor trends in past giving and identify potential enhanced relationships with donors.
- Plan and implement Giving Tuesday campaign
- Plan and implement end-of-year giving program.
- Plan and implement program for planned giving.
- Support and take internal lead of capital campaign.
- Own any other fundraising efforts
- Coordinate congregant support of all development related activities
- Report status of development activities to the Board and the Rabbi.
- Implement “industry” best practices.
- Other duties necessary for managing temple development program.
- Content creation and implementation across multiple social media outlets.
- Design all communications representing the synagogue, religious education and the Board, and also support communications of auxiliary groups.
- Create and manage a communication plan/ calendar that focuses on all events.
- Own delivery of all communications to congregants and other constituencies,
- Manage distribution lists of various groups/ audiences.
- Website content management – keeping content current, accurate and exciting.
- Create advertising deliverables for all programming and activities.
- Implement best practices around DEI, ex. Color choice/ design on graphics, font selection, inclusion of Alt. Text on all graphics/images, understanding any special needs of the community.
- Production of a quarterly newsletter.
- Other duties necessary for managing temple communications.
What We are Looking For – Requirements for Applicants:
- College degree with 2-3 years of related work experience.
- Self-motivated, organized individual with strong interpersonal skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to write marketing copy, press releases, etc. creatively and effectively under deadline.
- Ability to multi-task and work effectively on multiple simultaneous projects with minimal supervision in a fast-paced, team-oriented work environment.
- Experience and expertise with multiple technical skills and platforms, including video editing, website management, and editing.
- Knowledge of and comfort with new technology and familiarity with best practices of print and digital marketing and communications strategies.
- Experience developing and implementing marketing plans for established and new programs.
- Knowledge and understanding of Judaism and Jewish practices.
- College degree in communications or marketing.
How to apply: (Contact email Bob Houghton at firstname.lastname@example.org )
One-page cover letter of introduction
- Three Professional References
We at Congregation Shaarai Shomayim, in support of the Union for Reform Judaism, URJ, strive to be a welcoming and inclusive environment that is committed to creating a diverse environment. We promote strenuous policies and practices of equal opportunity and diversity, equity, and inclusion. It is our objective to recruit, hire, and retain the most qualified individuals including those of any race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation or identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic or status protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. Our equal employment philosophy applies to all aspects of employment, including recruitment, compensation, benefits, training, promotions, transfers, job benefits, and terminations.