Lancaster Science Factory
Job Title: Coordinator of Outreach Education
Location: Lancaster, PA office headquarters with travel within 100 miles
$18.00/hourly rate. Part-time position will be 20-30 hours/week to start. Potential for advancement and additional hours.
The Coordinator of Outreach Education will be responsible for the business development and delivery of all Lancaster Science Factory “To Go” outreach programs, all of which inspire curiosity and learning in STEM disciplines among K-8 grade students.
Ensure all aspects of the outreach education program are a success, from the initial booking, to the conclusion of the outreach experience, including evaluation. Establish and grow relationships with local schools, teachers, and community organizations that serve K-8th grade students. Actively communicate with schools and community organizations to customize and deliver programs and events. Coordinate a team of two full-time STEM educators to facilitate outreach programs. This position will receive training to lead and facilitate a select number of STEM education programs.
Marketing & Communications
- Proactively communicate with schools and community organizations to build awareness of Science Factory educational outreach programs.
- Foster good relationships, build partnerships, and grow the overall number of students served.
- Work closely with Science Factory team to develop digital and print marketing materials.
- Employ a consultative approach: discuss needs with community partner, and make recommendations for educational programs that are customized to fit.
- Maintain and expand database of contacts.
- Evaluate programs. Seek feedback to improve quality, diversify topics, or adjust format of programs.
- Build upon success by seeking referrals to serve other students who would benefit from Science Factory programs.
Coordination & Scheduling
- Coordinate outreach schedule with Science Factory STEM educators.
- Book and schedule outreach programs at various locations throughout the year.
- Manage the shared calendar for all outreach programs and events.
- Serve as primary point of contact for all outreach reservations. Communicate reservation details to other staff members and coordinate education team.
- Procure and maintain inventory of materials necessary for outreach programs.
- Maintain records and collect data to track outreach program metrics.
- Lead and facilitate select STEM education programs, or
- Provide support for outreach events, through clear coordination, communication, and/or staffing the event as part of a team.
- Oversee and maintain the Lancaster Science Factory To Go van. Keep all educational materials and exhibits within the van organized, clean, secure, and inventoried.
- Responsible for general vehicle maintenance duties as needed.
Reports to: Director of Operations
Supervision of Others:
None to start. A high performer is likely to grow this coordinator role into a full-time position and/or supervise additional team members.
A well-qualified candidate will have a bachelor’s degree and 2-4 years of demonstrated success in business, marketing, and sales. Some experience working in an educational setting is a benefit. Enthusiasm and commitment to the Science Factory’s non-profit mission is important.
- Outstanding communication skills, both verbal and written. Comfortable with public speaking to groups of students and teachers. Loves to get a meeting and is willing to cold call.
- Professional, friendly demeanor and highly organized.
- Results-driven self-starter.
- Acts with a high degree of integrity and independence.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and the ability to learn new programs as required.
- Able to carry out the Science Factory’s mission outside our four walls in the community.
Schedule and Working Conditions
- Minimum 20 hour/week of work will be assigned and available. This may increase to 30 hours/week or more during seasonal peaks.
- Physical office location at the Lancaster Science Factory.
- Must hold a valid Pennsylvania driver’s license. Will drive the Science Factory To Go van to outreach destinations within 100 miles.
- Must be able to lift up to 40 lbs. Routine loading/unloading of van, moving folding tables and chairs, and carrying educational supplies and exhibits short distances.
- This position must hold Pennsylvania criminal and child abuse clearances. Any offer of employment is contingent upon successful completion of the clearance process.
- The Lancaster Science Factory is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Founded in 2008, The Lancaster Science Factory’s non-profit mission is to inspire curiosity, creativity, and confidence by fostering an inclusive environment for hands-on STEM exploration. We actively seek to make our facility and educational programs accessible to all.
Interested candidates can send their resume and cover letter to:
Amanda Bakay, Director of Operations
454 New Holland Ave
Lancaster, PA 17602