Lancaster City Alliance
This position works for the Lancaster City Alliance
This position is located in Lancaster, PA
Full Time 9:00am – 5:00pm
Formed in 2013, the non-profit Lancaster City Alliance provides a foundation for a strong community through neighborhood development, enhanced public safety for residents and businesses, support for Lancaster’s vibrant entrepreneurs, and management of the Downtown Investment District. To do this the Lancaster City Alliance team oversees Building On Strength, the City’s 15-year economic development plan which is in place to improve the quality of life for anyone who lives, learns, works, and plays in Lancaster City.
Are you ready to work with the people of Lancaster City and strive for a community where everyone can share in the City’s success? If so, this position may be for you. Lancaster City Alliance is searching for a bi-lingual Community & Economic Development Coordinator with a passion for the people and organizations in the City. If you think you are ready to make a difference in our community, we would love to hear from you.
POSITION SUMMARY: Serves as the primary liaison between LCA and the Spanish speaking community. Works closely with the President and LCA Community & Economic Development on data collection efforts to support economic development. Regularly engages in direct outreach with City businesses to strengthen the relationship between the City’s small business community and LCA. Collaborates with the City of Lancaster’s Department of Neighborhood Engagement and neighborhood organizations to help advance neighborhood improvement initiatives.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Qualified individuals must have the ability (with or without reasonable accommodation) to perform the following duties:
- Establish, build and maintain close working relationships with community contacts, business and property owners, residents, and others to advance organizational goals
- Effectively translate key communication materials from English to Spanish and serve as translator/Spanish-speaking liaison between Spanish speaking individuals and LCA staff
- Maintain strong relationships with key City staff, property owners, contractors, etc. in order to ensure successful implementation of initiatives/projects
- Educate the community – particularly residents, property owners, tenants and other community stakeholders – about LCA roles and responsibilities, the Building On Strength Economic Development Strategic Plan, and neighborhood enhancement opportunities
- Maintain regular contact with City small businesses and serve as a connection to resources to support their growth, with a priority on businesses in the City’s commercial hubs
- Conduct annual site visits with businesses participating in the Keystone Innovation Zone Program (administered locally by LCA), and help to recruit new businesses to the program
- Engage in door-to-door outreach with neighborhood residents, property owners, and small businesses as well as via telephone and email to solicit participation in neighborhood enhancement projects including, but not limited to, façade improvements, street-tree plantings, litter receptacle installations, block adoptions, and infrastructure projects
- Communicate issues, opportunities and challenges facing neighbors and the community to LCA staff as they arise
- Work closely with the LCA Community & Economic Development Manager to help administer LCA’s Façade Improvement Grant Program and coordinate program logistics
- Help maintain LCA’s existing economic development databases (ex: new business inventory) and assist in the development of new datasets to support economic development
- Regularly attend relevant neighborhood/public meetings and report back to team
- Recruit neighborhood-based volunteers and coordinate registration for the City of Lancaster’s Adopt A Block litter cleanup program
- Coordinate with LCA Community & Economic Development Manager and LCA Director of Communications in the development of necessary outreach materials
- Other duties as assigned
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Strong Spanish-language writing and speaking capabilities; Spanish fluency
- Thorough knowledge of English grammar, spelling and punctuation.
- High School Diploma or equivalent (GED).
- Relevant experience in community development, urban planning, economic development, or a related field.
- Strong customer-service orientation.with excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience in working with the general public and in a professional office environment.
- A genuine love for the City of Lancaster.
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- Strong writing skills for correspondence, marketing materials, and other documents.
- Detail-oriented and organized.
- Ability to work independently and multi-task.
- Strong computer skills, particularly Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook.