The Communications Manager will have primary responsibility for developing, implementing, and managing a consistent and integrated communications and media relations strategy to increase name recognition and brand visibility, and contribute to establishing the organization as a go-to partner and thought leader in the affordable housing industry. The Communications Manager is responsible for developing, managing, and promoting communications efforts and assets, both internal and external, to advance HDC MidAtlantic’s mission, vision, and values with a particular emphasis on applying an equity lens to all communications activities. The Communications Manager will work collaboratively and cross-departmentally to carry out duties and responsibilities, cultivate strong media relationships in target markets, develop strategic organizational messaging, manage the development of compelling resident-centered stories and content that reflect the organization’s strategic priorities, and ensure on-brand design across communication platforms.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- The following statements reflect the general duties, responsibilities and competencies considered necessary to perform the essential duties and responsibilities of the job and should not be considered as a detailed description of all the work requirements of the position. HDC may change the specific job duties with or without prior notice based on the needs of the organization.
- Create an annual communications plan in alignment with the organization’s strategic priorities, and take primary responsibility for carrying out the plan in collaboration with the Community Relations team. Recognize and respond to internal and external communications opportunities, challenges, and solutions as they arise.
- Manage the development and publishing of print and digital communications pieces and campaigns including, but not limited to: annual impact report, event/campaign specific publications, press releases, website, e-newsletters, social media, etc. Messaging will be tailored to effectively reach stakeholders including volunteers, residents, board members, donors, funders, media, and other businesses and organizations.
- Develop a robust media relations strategy and communicate with media regularly. Build and maintain relationships with press and media contacts, and act on opportunities for earned media with a focus on print stories. Manage media inquiries, arrange interviews, prepare public statements, and serve as point person for crisis communications plans.
- Utilize storytelling and evidence-based research to ensure HDC is well-positioned as a thought leader within the affordable housing industry and in the communities the organization serves.
- Develop and coordinate social media strategy for all platforms, serve as social media administrator and primary content creator, and utilize online performance data and analytics to grow social media and online presence.
- Manage the planning and promotion of organizational events including groundbreaking and ribbon-cuttings. Prepare talking points for speeches, presentations, and other activities as needed to support HDC leadership.
- Coordinate HDC representation at conferences, summits, and exhibit halls.
- Develop and coordinate in-house and paid marketing as needed. Support property marketing strategy and initiatives.
- Develop strategy and produce content for promoting organization’s fundraising initiatives.
- Develop and manage engaging internal communications, including bimonthly employee e-newsletter, all-staff remote meetings, and periodic announcements.
- Manage story and photo banks and create cross-departmental systems to share community activities, events, and resident stories.
- Manage, and update as needed, style guidelines for organizational collateral – business cards, letterhead, envelopes and various printing needs.
- Provide support to HDC departments as needed.
EDUCATION AND RELATED WORK EXPERIENCE
Education level: (Minimum & preferred educational experience necessary to perform this job successfully)
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, or related field.
Years of Related Work Experience:
- Minimum five years in roles encompassing communications, public and media relations, and/or marketing required. Experience with nonprofit organizations and/or affordable housing preferred.
SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE
- Advanced critical thinking skills, exhibited by the ability to take information from a wide variety of sources and synthesize/analyze the information in the context of HDC’s mission and priorities.
- Commitment to HDC’s mission, and ability to relate to residents with respect and empathy. Competent interacting with a wide variety of persons, cultures and organizations.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and an ability to use storytelling to inspire action. Includes attention to detail, ability to deliver and edit publication-ready content, and facility to adopt and evolve brand messaging.
- Creative, highly-organized and proficient at planning and implementing projects with minimal supervision, including project budgeting and managing deadlines.
- Strong design sensibilities and basic working knowledge of digital design tools such as Adobe suite or similar.
- Proven results in managing social media platforms to engage diverse audiences.
- Flexibility, agility to change course quickly. Ability to multitask, meet multiple deadlines, and balance numerous projects while maintaining focus on long-term goals.
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to work collaboratively and collegially within a multi-faceted organization, effecting and leading change where needed.
- Working knowledge of affordable housing industry and community development best practices.
- Competent proficiency in all Microsoft Office products.
TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS (List as a 25% of total work time)
- Occasional travel to HDC communities throughout organizational footprint to attend events, meet residents, and represent the organization with stakeholders.
WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- (Describe any specific work place conditions and/or physical abilities that are related to and/or required by this job)
- Sitting for extended periods, occasional walking, standing, reaching with hands and arms, use of hands and fingers for phone and keyboard.
- Regular personal computer usage.
- Regular talking and hearing.
- Frequent lifting and/or moving up to 5 pounds and occasionally up to 25 pounds.
- Visual acuity (with or without corrective lenses); close vision, distance vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- Working conditions are generally indoors with occasional exposure to weather to travel to meetings or HDC locations.