Adamstown Area Library
SUMMARY: Work involves responsibility for operating and supervising the operation of the adult public circulation desk. Duties include developing and recommending policies and procedures for the circulation function, scheduling and supervising Circulation Department staff.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: The Circulation Manager works under the supervision of the Library Director.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Performs circulation duties. Uses library computer system to register and update borrower information, check materials in and out, collect fines and fees. Assists with use of computers, self-check, and catalog.
- Interviews and assists in hiring circulation staff. Trains, supervises, disciplines, and completes performance evaluations for library staff. May also be required to assist other departments with the same functions.
- Develops weekly staffing schedules for the circulation desk.
- Develops and recommends policies and procedures for the circulation function. Assists in budget control.
- Gathers data and prepares reports on completed work assignments and employee effort.
- Performs routine maintenance and minor repairs on the library’s copying equipment, printers, and computers.
- Orders Circulation Department office and collection supplies.
- Provides basic reference assistance.
- May assume in-charge duties in Library Director’s absence.
- Shares responsibility for planning and executing programming and collection development.
- Answers telephone. Responds to patron complaints.
- Attends staff and library-related meetings.
- Assists with daily delivery and unpacking materials as needed.
- Performs related work as required.
- Associate degree from a recognized college, plus one year of library experience.
- Considerable knowledge of the needs of library patrons and ability to provide the type and level of service needed.
- Good knowledge of the principles and practices of public library circulation functions.
- Experience in computer operation required.
- Considerable ability in written and oral communications.
- Considerable ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with coworkers and the general public.
- Good ability to schedule and oversee the circulation staff.
- Considerable ability to perform duties in a face-paced environment.
- Ability to successfully pass and maintain the following background checks: (1) Pennsylvania State Police Criminal Background Check, (2) Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Certification and (3) FBI Criminal Background Check.
- Ability to sit for 1-2 hours and stand and/or walk for 4-8 hours per workday.
- Ability to lift and carry up to 20 pounds.
- Ability to bend, stoop, squat, reach, and stretch for shelving books and other library procedures.
- Ability to perform repetitive actions.
SELECTION: Based on education, work experience, merit, training, and interview.
HOW TO APPLY: Send resume to: Adamstown Area Library 110 W Main Street PO Box 356 Adamstown, PA 19501 Or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Adamstown Area Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.