Many colleges and universities across the country seek to spread awareness and combat sexual assault on their campuses. Millersville University was recently awarded a $29,990 grant as part of the “It’s On Us PA” campaign to do just that.
The Wolf administration recently announced that 34 colleges and universities across the state would be awarded a portion of the nearly $1 million grant. The It’s On Us PA campaign stems from the nationwide It’s On Us movement.
“The mission of It’s On Us is to build the movement to combat campus sexual assault by engaging all students and activating the largest student organizing program of its kind in grassroots awareness and prevention education programs,” explains Elizabeth Swantek, Millersville University’s Title IX coordinator.
“It’s On Us PA brings together college and university presidents, superintendents, administrators, teachers, students, families and community members to reframe the conversation around sexual violence and pledge to be part of the solution,” she adds.
With the grant, the University plans to implement new programs and events, including:
- A symposium for K-12 educators and administrators focusing on equipping educators with updated information on sexual violence, how to support student survivors and how to make changes in their organization
- It’s On Us weeks of action, a national event during the Spring 2022, Fall 2022 and Spring 2023 semesters
- SPARC, a stalking educational series
- YWCA on-campus advocacy
- Enhancements of Green Dot Training, a program that initiates active bystander training
- A book club series, both virtual and in-person, which will promote the opportunity to research and learn about topics that are beyond what they learn in the classroom
Swantek says the University remains committed to spreading awareness about sexual violence by offering training to key campus response staff, faculty and students, developing brochures and training materials about on and off-campus resources, materials about LGBTQIA+ resources, and faculty/staff guides.
A previous grant also allowed the University to organize several events like holding trauma-informed yoga sessions on campus, It’s On Us pledge drives and campus-wide training sessions.
For more information about the It’s On Us chapter at Millersville University, visit https://www.millersville.edu/titleix/itsonus.php