To celebrate the legacy of Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., Millersville University is hosting a number of online and in-person events during the month of January. As a reminder, Millersville will be closed on Jan. 17 to honor the day.
As in years past, the University will observe a moment of remembrance at 11:45 a.m. on Monday, Jan. 17, as the University’s Old Main Bell in the Alumni Bell Court tolls 39 times, symbolic of the number of years of King’s life.
Unless otherwise noted, these events are not open to the public.
Monday | January 17
34th Annual Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Breakfast
- 8 a.m.| Virtual| Open to the public
- “The Fierce Urgency of Now” with keynote speaker Aiko Bethea. Tickets available online here: org/mlk
- 3 – 6 p.m. | SMC Atrium | Open to the public
- Take a look at the major historical events that took place during King’s lifetime.This event is free and there is no registration required to attend.
Tuesday | January 18
MLK Kickoff Celebration + “I Have a Dream Wall”
- 12 – 2 p.m. | SMC Atrium | Open to the public
- Stop by for our Kickoff Celebration and share the dreams you have for a better society.
National Day of Racial Healing
- 7 – 8:30 p.m. | Virtual
- More details on this event are available on the @mu_interculturalcenterv’s Instagram account.
Wednesday | January 19
- 3 – 6 p.m. | Virtual
- Celebrate the BIPOC community! Come join us to respect, support and affirm the BIPOC community at Millersville University.
- *Affinity Space for BIPOC students*
Thursday | January 20
- 6:30 p.m.| Virtual
- An evening of affirmations and discussion hosted by the Center of Health Education & Promotion.
Friday | January 21
MLK Lunch & Learn
- 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. | Virtual
- An informative workshop over lunch, hosted by YWCA Director Jasmyne King, Center of Racial and Gender Equity.
Thursday| January 27
Gospel Concert & Spoken Word Event
- 6 p.m.| SMC MPR | Open to the public
- A mini gospel concert and spoken word event celebrating the life of Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., hosted by Office of Diversity and Social Justice. Doors open at 5:30 p.m. and light refreshments will be provided. This event is free and there is no registration required to attend.
Monday | January 31
Intercultural Center for Student Engagement Turns 4
- 12 – 2 p.m.| Dr. Rita Smith Wade-El Intercultural Center
- Celebrate the 4th anniversary of the Intercultural Center for Student Engagement.
Want to learn about upcoming events at Millersville University? Check out our calendar.