Open-minded and curious? Persistent and hard-working? Organized? Self-reflective? Service-oriented and a team-player?
If so, you should apply to be a research fellow!
Before You Apply | Timeline | Apply Now |
Application Deadline: November 14, 2022!
- Interest in an independent research project & tentative topic
- Three semesters left to complete before graduation
- Faculty/staff-person willing to serve as a reference*
Before You Apply
Applications need to be completed in one-sitting as there is no way to save an application in-progress. Before you apply, please have the following available:
- Name and contact information for a faculty/staff reference
- Your M number and local contact information
- Answers to the following short essay questions
Please note: A project being used to earn honors thesis or independent study credit(s) cannot be used to receive a stipend as part of the research fellows program.
Short Essay Questions
Please answer each of the following questions in a few sentences. It may be easiest to prepare your answers ahead of time in a document and then copy and paste them into the application form.
- What would you like to investigate as a research fellow? Or, what is a potential research interest of yours? Describe. Why does this interest you?
- Describe your involvement in activities outside of class? (For example, employment, student organizations, sports, arts, community service, etc.) Why did you choose to become involved in these activities?
- Please give an example of a time when you worked successfully in a group/team. (Can be from a work, community, or school experience.) What was your role in the group? What did you find easiest about the experience? What did you find most challenging?
- Please include any additional information that you would like us to consider in our selection process.
Selection Process & Timeline
- November 14: Application Deadline
- November 14- December 2: Research fellows mentors review applications, select applicants to interview, and conduct interviews
- December 5-9 Fellows invited to join the program & complete necessary paperwork
- January 17, 2023 (Spring Semester): New fellows begin participation in the program