Our plants have made it their first 2 days without problems. pictured below is the progress difference between our 3 different mediums for our plants. The first pic is of our coir, then the clay pellets, and lastly the rockwool. And within the pics lettuce is the left row and spinach is the right one. I have to say our spinach in the clay is looking really promising! The last thing we did for today was check our pH which was at 5.8, which is still within range of what both these plants like. Thanks for checking back with us, and I can’t wait to show you our progress after Spring Break!
Hey everyone! Just as our port header implies, today was the last day of prep before we put all the pieces of the puzzle together. For starters our seeds finished germinating, and you can see them pictured below with the lettuce on the left and then the spinach picture on its right. Also, we officially have a team plaque for our project, but a special thank you goes out to Joe Steinmacher for teaching me how to use the laser engraver. So, the last thing we did was put it all together to make our working system, which is pictured in row 2 on the far left.
Just a quick update on our progress, below is photos of our seeds progress as of 03/05/2014. On the left is the Spinach and on the right is the Lettuce. Hopefully by Monday we will have quite a bit more growth so that we can transplant.
Also I would like to apologize for technical difficulties on our last post. As of now comments should be possible!
Our goal is simple, we just want some green on our sandwiches, but getting there is going to be the tricky part.
For our hydroponic system we chose to use a Floating Raft style. The reason for this was that it would help keep costs low, and it’s a very K.I.S.S (Keep it simple silly!) like system. By using a basic system, it might not have all the bells and whistle, but less variables should mean less complications! The basic system is based off of a 10 gallon container, a fitted piece of Styrofoam that floats freely to show water levels, and six containers for our plants to reside in. Also inside the container is two air stones. The reason for two is that where other systems take advantage of moving water, ours runs the risk of running stagnant, so to off set this two stones were used. (Basic System is Pictured Below)
The next topic on are agenda is the choice of what delicious greens we wanted on our sandwiches. We have elected to go with spinach and a mixed variety of Lettuce. 20 of each seed were picked out and are currently germinating at this moment, there current growth will be in the following post. (Seeds being used are pictured above)