Educational Guru, Who is Yours?

Who Are Your Guru’s?

By: Kailey Smith

Has anyone ever asked you a really difficult question?  You know a question where there always seems to be more than one right answer? For me this question seems to be the one asked above, “who are my educational gurus?” There is no right or wrong answer to this question, because as future educators we all see differences on how we would eventually like to run our classrooms. Each theorist that could be chosen, highlights different values and structures that they see fit to embody children and education itself. However, as a future educator, we all have our own developed philosophy of education. Therefore, it is difficult to answer this question with just one name so I narrowed it down to three.  Two of these theorists are well known. People such as Jean Piaget and Lev Vygotsky. And the last one that gets over-looked quite a bit, for it is John Locke. In my post I will share with you who these wonderful theorists are, as well as my view on education, discussing pedagogies and insights that I see fit.

Jean Piaget
Lev Vygotsky
John Locke

My Philosophy of Education

Early Childhood Education is the foundational structure that shapes a child’s learning capabilities, and overall development. As educators we need to recognize that ALL CHILDREN ARE DIFFERENT. They all come from different backgrounds, have different home structures. That each child has their own interests that might deviate from the topics being enforced in the classroom. Also, that each child starts and ends at different academic standpoints. As an up and coming early childhood professional, it is my goal to embrace all the differences that each child has, and unify my classroom environment, so that we can learn together, and separate to benefit the whole child.

Jean Piaget

Jean Piaget fits into my philosophy of education because he looks at learning and how it allows children to sculpt their own intelligences. In simpler terms, it allows children to seek what avenues seem to fit their interests and explore them, making their own knowledge. Piaget is an influencer for the active learning styles, such as VAK, which I think it EXTREMELY relevant in 21 century education. VAK Stands for Visual, Auditory and Kinesthetic learning. I think it is important to see that in a classroom of 25 kids that you may have 8 that can watch you do and activity and then remodel it accurately. Or you may have 7 students who have to hear you specifically go through the instructions, one by one so they better understand the tasks at hand. Lastly, or you may have 10 students who want to get their hands-on experiences in, and physically do the activity with you. It is important to know your learners and play to their strengths and Piaget has guided me to know that within my educational journey that I have to be well aware of this to better teach in the field of education. Also, his research on the developmental stages within children are very accurate and that knowledge and information produced has been very helpful.

Lev Vygotsky

For Lev Vygotsky, his theories discuss the issue of nurture over nature. Discussing the importance of having a supportive environment, and that regardless of your genes that your experiences, and who you are surrounded by can shape your mind, in more ways that one. I love this idea because the teacher is viewed as a facilitator or a guide. Which I feel is important. We as educators should be guiding our classrooms education, using tools such as scaffolding, and not just being cookie-cutter. I think by allowing children to see what they can do independently, with help, and then after help, you are bettering their education, and their foundation for the future. Maybe as a kid we all thought if our teachers gave us all the answers that, that would be the most beneficial. But as we grow older, we see that its not what can benefit us. By our teacher’s guiding our education, that seemed to be the most effective way to teach. I strongly believe that the ideals that Vygotsky implemented, are some of the most heavily used ideals amongst 21 century education today.

John Locke

John Locke once said that, “children’s experiences determine who they are, and these experiences are the basis of all learning.” This quote by John Locke has always reassured me that early childhood education is the field for me. As I walk into my placements, everyday I see that each child is not like the other. I witness what these children discuss whether it be at home or at school. And I see how their experiences have shaped them into the wonderful, bright children they are. I can agree to disagree with John Locke that children come into this world not knowing what all to expect. And that their upbringing and education can hinder their views on the world. However, I also think that children come into this world, and look at education with an open mind, and if they are guided in the right direction that each child can develop properly in the right direction.

TO WRAP IT UP

So, when asked “who are my educational gurus” these are the three people I see best fit. Do I believe every aspect of their philosophies embody what I would like in my classroom, ABSOLUTELY NOT! But in harmony, these three philosophers and theorists come together to help me see what education should truly embody. My goal amongst education has always been to teach, no matter the diversities. To listen and adhere to all situations and find a resolution. To be a voice for each and every child, and give them the love, respect and education that they deserve. Children learn through experiences, and guidance and that is why these three are my educational gurus. Below are some helpful websites that I think others could use to help navigate you, in finding what theorist best supports your ideas in the classroom.

https://www.learning-theories.com/

https://sites.google.com/site/technologytoolboxforeducators/about-learning/learning