Who Are my Guru’s?

Who Are My Educational Guru’s?

Who reassures and stretches you as an early childhood educator?

My mom is a first generation college graduate. She went to TCU for speech pathology and is currently a behavior support specialist at a Headstart/ Pre-K Counts classroom in Harrisburg. I often call her after learning about new strategies or theories and talk about how to use them in my future classroom and how she sees similar being used in the classroom she oversees. 

There are many doubts I have while going through my education. I am getting closer and closer to becoming a real teacher but am sometimes feel I am not adequately prepared for the stresses of teaching an actual classroom.  Whenever I feel this way, I know that I can call up my mom and feel reassured that she is confident I will get to a point where the thought of getting in front of a class everyday is not so daunting.

Whose pedagogies  are shaping your paths?

IBL

As my pedagogies are continuously changing,  new concepts and theories are constantly changing my teaching pedagogies. However, over the last three years, one theory has stuck out to me as being a solid way of teaching that I plan on implementing in my classroom. That theory is inquiry-based learning.

IBL is based on student investigation and hands-on projects.  In this teaching method, the teacher is seen as a supportive figure who provides guidance and support for students throughout their learning process, rather than a sole authority figure. This type of teaching help students to see things in their own way, and come to conclusions on their own merit. This type of learning was inspired by Jean Piaget, one of my favorite educational theorists. 

Constructivism

Image result for Jean Piaget

Inquiry based learning is paralleled with constructivism, the philosophy about learning that proposes learners build their own understanding of new ideas or skills.  Constructivism allows information that is absorbed by a child, allows them to build  knowledge built upon prior  knowledge, and help scaffold them into learning and adding things into that prior schema.

My path as an educator is still being shaped, with new ideas being thrown my way daily. I try to sift through ideas and concepts through the minds of my future students. I will never have a set pedagogy, as I hope that I am a life long learner, constantly digging for new information and ways to further my students love for learning.

Who is teaching you about the Why and the How in the field of early childhood?

Along with my mom and many professors that have helped shape my understanding and knowledge in the field of education thus far, I try to educate myself on my own time as well. I am subscribed to and watch a handful of teachers on YouTube who help take my learning to the next level with real world examples and context.

One of my favorite teacher-turned YouTuber’s to watch is Michelle Ferre.  She has named her channel Pocket Full of Primary and she shares her journey as a  fourth grade teacher in Maryland. Her channel is chock full of examples, help, tips, EdTech and so much more information that I have gleaned from for years. It is helpful to see the theories and concepts we learn about in class,  be used real time through her channel. 

If you get the time to check it out, here is a link to her most recent video:
“How to Not Feel Overwhelmed as a Teacher”

How to NOT Feel Overwhelmed as a Teacher

Don’t forget to like, comment, and subscribe so you don’t miss future videos! MY TEACHERSPAYTEACHERS STORE: https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Pocketful-Of-Primary MY PO BOX: Michelle Ferré PO Box 719 Gambrills, MD 21054 POCKETFUL OF PRIMARY MERCHANDISE: https://www.etsy.com/shop/PocketfulofPrimary?ref=search_shop_redirect MY AMAZON FAVORITES: http://bit.ly/pocketfulofprimarystore GET 1 MONTH FREE OF HP INSTANT INK: http://try.hpinstantink.com/dQgpb __________________________________________________________________ Find me on my other social media platforms: INSTAGRAM: @pocketfulofprimary FACEBOOK: https://www.facebook.com/PocketfulofPrimary/ PINTEREST: https://www.pinterest.com/pocketfulofprim/ BLOG: www.pocketfulofprimary.com E-MAIL: pocketfulofprimary@gmail.com __________________________________________________________________ *My description includes referral codes/links that allow me to earn points or credit that can be redeemed for products and/or subscriptions.

Who speaks truth to you? Shares new insights with you?

There are so many people in my life who encourage me through my journey as an education major, along with other avenues of my life. My parents have always taught me to surround myself with people who will positively impact my life in the long run, and thanks to them, I feel as though I have done that well thus far. 

Family

There are so many people in my life who encourage me through my journey as an education major, along with other avenues of my life. My mom and dad have been huge supporters mentally, emotionally, and financially. Even though my dad has little to no prior experience with the teaching field, he is always there to encourage me and remind me how proud he is of me, something that may seem small but goes a long way. My brothers and sister are also very supportive. Now that we are all grown and have paved our own paths, we are connected and constantly lend an ear and word of encouragement when needed. 

Image may contain: 4 people, including Joanna Barninger, Jared Barninger and Matthew Barninger, people smiling, people standing and shoes

Friends

My friends are also a big part of my large support system. They see me at my highs, and my lows and support me no matter what. I also live with three other educators, so conversation about education is always happening at our apartment. My one roommate has been with me from the start and we have gone through this journey together, which makes the burden of school, work, and a social life less heavy to carry. 

INFLUENCErs

In the ever-changing world of social media a lot of my insights are shared through people I do not personally know, but look up to in the education world.  There are so many people who share their stories on the internet that inspires me. I follow so many of these people on YouTube, like Michelle, and a plethora of others on Instagram. I believe this is a powerful tool to any educator, as long as I can quote president Theodore Roosevelt and remind fellow educators that “Comparison is the thief of joy”.

Top 100 Elementary Teacher Blogs & Websites | Elementary Blog

Utah About Blog What the Teacher Wants was started in 2010 as a way for Rachelle to post pictures of her classroom and share her teaching ideas. We share teaching ideas for the K-6th grade classrooms to make life easier for the teacher and learning fun for the students!

This is a blog that highlights 100 of teacher influencers, and is a great resource to browse for any educator that is looking for inspiration!

References

Borovay, L. A., Shore, B. M., Caccese, C., Yang, E., & Hua, O. (Liv). (2019). Flow, Achievement Level, and Inquiry-Based Learning. Journal of Advanced Academics30(1), 74–106. https://doi.org/10.1177/1932202X18809659