Hello everyone. J.D. and I have finally gotten our hydroponics system up and running. We have decided to use a drip system to attempt to grow jalapeño peppers. So far there are no huge problems we see happening with the system in the near future other than one of the emitters may have issues staying within the cup.
Just a little background on our system. For our growing medium we have decided to place our seeds in rockwool surrounded by expanded clay. All of this is inside of plastic cups with holes in the bottom to allow the water to continue cycling and to allow our roots to grow. For our nutrient solution we decided to use liquid nutrients instead of solid nutrients to prevent our hoses from clogging. Currently solution is at a pH of 6.5. We are hoping to keep it between 6.2 and 6.5 for the remainder of semester.
We hope to start seeing sprouts within the next 10-14 days. Below are some pictures of the system. Sorry for the poor quality from now on we will use a digital camera instead of a phone.
2 thoughts on “Up and Running”
I really like your idea of the drip system, it provides the opportunity for consistant moisture on the plants. The construction of the acutal drip is really nice. We also decided to use the liquid nutrients, providing easier flow for our water pumps. Good luck guys!
You guys have a very neat setup. I like how you incorporated the drip system into your project. Hopefully your peppers will be successful because going with the drip system can have its positives and negatives. However, if you can get it to work properly and regulate how much water you plants get I think you guys will have some healthy plants!