Tara – England

• Tara studied abroad in Oxford, England as part of the MOSAIC summer 2017 study abroad program through Maryville University.

I chose this location for the courses being taught: Brexit and British Politics. I figured, being an International Studies major, there is no way I could pass up the opportunity to study Brexit while in England as this is still an ongoing and persistent issue.

My goals were ultimately to enrich my knowledge on the British governmental system, as well as to push myself academically. This was also a test to myself to travel abroad, alone and with others, and to experience other paths of life. This was a true test to myself. I had many breakdowns and long nights thinking about my future and where to go in my life from here. I had the realization that I want to work in America in a government or humanitarian focused, work to help those abroad. Oxford, and the Bookmillers (Dr. Kirsten Bookmiller and Dr. Robert Bookmiller of Millersville University), pushed me in my thought processes, my activity, and my work. This was an altering experience and I already miss it, the atmosphere, and the people I have met along the way,

3

As a part of the MOSAIC program, we went to Blenheim Palace, Stratford On-Avon, London multiple times, had a boat ride on the Thames, etc. As a part of my Bookmiller courses, we went to Parliament, The Welsh National Assembly (gorgeous!), and Westminster Abbey. Everything was so wonderful. We were provided with access to so many wonderful buildings and tours, that would not be so easily accessible to the public on the daily.

It’s our future. What is going on in the world now will affect all of us; we need to experience what will change our daily lives. Furthermore, there is so much beauty for every kind of person in the world! There are beautiful waters, forests, cities, open planes, etc. There is something for everyone in every country. You meet so many diverse, funny, amazing, loving people from all over the world. Study abroad honestly has no drawbacks. Even when you feel you are alone or at a breaking point and missing home, I do not see that as a drawback. That just enhances your gratitude and love for your home and your life back home. That’s such a positive thing and strengthens you as a person, your relationships to those you have left behind, and your whole life. It is all 100000% worth it.

Do it! Why not? I dare you to give me one reason.

2

Take advantage of the opportunity. Soon after college, your availability decreases, the cost increases, and your length of stay decreases. Submerge yourself in the world while you have the time. Live in another culture to fully appreciate your own culture. There is nothing wrong about being homesick, but don’t be sick of your home. And to not be sick of your home, you must explore a little.

Study Abroad has given me the best of friends outside of PA (basically all from Illinois), I have new connections, new memories, new loves, and critics about the world. This experience has probably been one of the best I have ever had in my life to date. I cannot wait to study abroad again – studying abroad junior year in Marburg!

4