Kiara – Chile

I originally wanted to attend a university in Spain. However, I was working two jobs while taking five courses. I did not have the time to focus on applying to a non-MU program.   I made the solid decision to attend Chile’s Spanish program at PUCV after digging deeper into the country’s rich history.

KIARA-IMAGE2

My goal was to improve my written and spoken Spanish language abilities.  I am glad to have taken a class in academic writing, grammar for foreigners and communication. By the end of the semester abroad, I could comprehend Spanish structurally and produce an acceptable research paper.

KIARA-IMAGE1

I visited Pablo Neruda’s home in Valparaiso, volunteered as a dog walker, ran along the beach, attended karaoke night with my host family, danced at social clubs, participated in class trips to visit human right museums in Santiago, attended the annual Mil Tambores festival in Valparaiso, enjoyed the view of the ocean, studied at FIKA cafe, watched street performances, visited El Reloj de Flores, hiked at La Campana, went sand boarding at Las Dunas, and so much more!

KIARA-IMAGE6

Also, I didn’t do much research on excursions beforehand because I thought traveling would be overly expensive. However, it turns out bus fare was cheap and airplane tickets were often on sale. Students would often form groups to organize trips. In Chile, I visited Santiago, Valparaiso, Vina Del Mar, Quilpue, San Pedro de Atacama Desert, Arica, Puerto Montt, Puerto Vara, Frutillar, and Chiloe Island. Also visited three sections within Buenos Aries of Argentina and entered Tacna in Peru.

KIARA-IMAGE4

I encourage any student to study abroad! Life abroad is an incredible chance to grow. In my experience, I conquered my fear of heights and found an appreciation for nature. You know… after studying abroad, I also found myself to have gained a surge of confidence. I would advise anyone interested in studying abroad to do their research early. Then, open a savings account as soon as possible to save for out of pocket costs. Also, be patient and ask questions.