1. Winter break housing will start at 12:00 p.m. on Saturday, December 9, 2023. The residence halls will be closed during winter break. Resident students who are continuing in the residence halls to spring 2024 may request break housing for all or portions of the winter break by completing the “Break_Winter_2023-23 Application”. There is no additional cost to stay over the break, but you must apply to be approved. All students that apply to stay are approved and you will receive and email confirmation once you have completed the application. The application will close at 4pm on Thursday, December 7, 2023. The residence halls will reopen for the spring semester at 12 noon on Sunday, January 14, 2024.
2. Students that are graduating or working graduation on Saturday, December 9 are permitted to stay, but must be checked out of the residence hall before 6pm on Saturday, December 9, 2023. You must email your Residential Area Director (RAD) to receive permission to stay till 6pm on Saturday, December 9, 2023. The University Housing and Conference Services Office will confirm with the Registrar’s Office students who have requested to stay due to graduating. Once confirmed, you will receive additional check-out instructions from your RAD. You do not need to complete the Break Housing Application.
3. If you are requesting winter break housing and you have scheduled a room change for the spring semester, you must complete the room change before the start of the break. If the room change cannot be completed prior to leaving for the break, you may be asked to take all personal belongings home. This is to help the housekeeping staff clean and prepare for the spring semester. Please see your Residential Area Director (RAD) to make that arrangement. Students assigned to continue housing in the residence halls for spring 2024 are not required to surrender residence hall keys to the staff prior to leaving for the break nor need to move out all your belongings.
4. Students not returning or are thinking of not returning to Millersville University for the spring semester must contact their Residential Area Director (RAD) to receive instructions for checking-out of the residence halls. You will need to follow the instructions given to you by your hall director. Failure to properly check out will result in your being billed.
East Village –Yvonne DeBlois – firstname.lastname@example.org
Shenks Hall – Matthew Rutkoski – email@example.com
South Village – Kei-shon Graham – firstname.lastname@example.org
West Village – Philip Watson – email@example.com
TO COMPLETE THE WINTER BREAK APPLICATION:
- Log into your MAX Account
- Select Student Services
- Select Housing and Dining
- Select MyHousing
- In your MyHousing Account, go to the Applications tab on the left side and complete the “Break_Winter_2023-24Application”.
- Once you complete the application, you will receive an email stating that your application was completed.
GENERAL WINTER BREAK INFORMATION
- 24-hour quiet hours go into effect at 9:00 PM on Friday, December 1, 2023, and continue through the end of the semester.
- The residence halls will be closed during winter break except for returning residents who have requested and been approved for winter break housing by University Housing & Conference Services.
- Card access for all resident students will be discontinued during the winter break. Only returning residents who have requested winter break housing will have card access privileges.
- Guests and visitation are not permitted during the break.
- See Dining Services, Health Services, SMC, and The Hub websites for hours of operation.
- For non-urgent police and campus calls during holiday closing times dial (717) 871-4357. For fire, police, and EMS emergencies, always dial 911.
- Students assigned to continue housing in the residence halls for spring 2024 are not required to surrender residence hall keys to the staff prior to leaving for the break nor need to move out all your belongings.
- The Housekeeping and Facilities Management Staff will be working in the campus residence halls to perform maintenance tasks during the break that may require entrance to resident rooms. The University Housing & Conference Services staff may post a courtesy sign on your door indicating that the room is occupied during the winter break. This sign will ensure that workers will not enter your room without knocking. Please leave it in place for the duration of the winter break.
- All students assigned to the residence hall for fall 2023 are automatically assigned to continue in the residence halls for spring 2024 unless you have filed an official withdrawal from the University, filed and been approval for an official leave of absence for spring 2024, filed for leave of absence due to call to active military service for spring 2024, filed or been approved for study abroad for spring 2024, or are a current study abroad visa international student not returning for the spring 2024 semester. All these circumstances require that you are not registered for classes at Millersville University for spring 2024.
WINTER BREAK PREPARATION PROCEDURES
The residence hall staff will conduct health and safety inspections in each residence hall suite at the start of the winter break. Please carefully review the following instructions and information to avoid violations of the Student Code of Conduct for improper maintenance of your residence hall suite/room.
Prior to the start of the break, all resident students returning for the spring and not registered for the winter break period MUST:
- Dispose of all trash by removing it to the dumpster in the parking lots outside your residence hall.
- Clean the room/suite including sweeping the floor and wiping down furniture.
- Clean your bathroom and report any issues with constant run toilets, sinks, showers to the residence hall staff.
- Remove food from your refrigerator and properly dispose of it through proper trash removal.
- Defrost your refrigerator.
- If you are leaving for the break, turn off the lights.
- If you are leaving for the break, set the thermostat to 70 degrees.
- If you are leaving for the break, close and lock your room window (Villages).
- If you are leaving for the break, lower the blinds halfway but leave them open.
- If you are leaving for the break, lock your bedroom door and your suite door.
- If you are leaving for the break, please take any valuables home with you.
- If you are leaving for the break please move all items from your residence hall floor, especially computer equipment and any items that can be damaged by flooding.
- If you are leaving for the break and you have an approved animal through Learning Services in your room, you must take the animal with you. You may not leave animals in the residence hall in the care of another student or staff member.
Congratulations to our December 2023 graduates!
Happy Holidays and stay safe!