Winter break housing will start at 12:00 p.m. on Saturday, December 11, 2021. The residence halls will be closed during the winter break. The residence halls will reopen on Sunday, January 16, 2022, at 12:00 PM. Resident students who are continuing in the residence halls to spring 2022 may request break housing for all or portions of the winter break by completing the MyHousing registration for Winter Break Housing through your MAX account no later than Noon on Friday, December 3, 2021. This includes requests for both the December and January portions of the winter break.
While we do offer winter break housing for residential students continuing into the spring 2022 semester, we encourage you to take full advantage of the break. You must be formally approved through the application process to remain over the winter break. Various approved reasons, include the following:
- International student status
- Formal independent status
- Credit-bearing academic placements
- Student athletes scheduled for collegiate athletic competition
- Other reasons will be considered dependent upon legitimate need
If you are requesting winter break housing and you have scheduled a room change for the spring semester, you must complete the room change before the start of the break. Please see your Residence Area Director (RAD) to make that arrangement. If you are not scheduled to live in the residence halls for the spring 2022 semester you are not eligible to request housing during the winter break. Students assigned to continue housing in the residence halls for spring 2022 are not required to surrender residence hall keys to the staff prior to leaving for the break nor need to move out all your belongings.
Those students who may become COVID positive will be required to isolate for 10-days in campus housing designated for isolation. Please be aware that those students approved to remain for winter break housing will have to make their own food purchase and delivery arrangements in the case they need to isolate or quarantine due to COVID-19.
SOUTH VILLAGE WATER LINE REPAIR
Special facilities notice to South Village residents requesting and approved for winter break housing:
- South Village will undergo a water line repair from Monday, January 3rd through and including Tuesday, January 4, 2022. The South Village A wing will not have any water during this time. South Village B, C, and D wings will only have cold water; hot water will be out for the entire South Village.
- Resident approved winter break housing in South Village A will have to make alternate arrangements for water during this time due to this scheduled repair.
WINTER BREAK REQUEST INSTRUCTIONS
- Open MAX.
- Log into your “My Housing” account.
- Click on Applications and click the Winter Break application.
- Complete the information required.
- You must select a reason for requesting break housing from the drop-down menu. If you select other, you must provide a brief explanation it in the next box.
- Select “Continue” to submit your application.
- You will receive a response in three (3) business days.
GENERAL WINTER BREAK INFORMATION
- 24-hour quiet hours go into effect at 9:00 PM on Friday, December 3, 2021, and continue through 12:00 PM on Saturday, December 11, 2021.
- The residence halls will be closed during winter break except for returning residents who have requested and been approved for winter break housing by University Housing & Conference Services.
- Card access for all resident students will be discontinued during the winter break. Only returning residents who have requested winter break housing will have card access privileges.
- Guests and visitation are not permitted during the break.
- All University Administrative Offices will be closed for the holidays from Friday, December 24, 2021, until 8:00 a.m. on Monday, January 3, 2022. Residence hall offices will have limited hours of operation during the break. See the front desk of your residence hall for contact information.
- See Dining Services, Health Services, and SMC websites for hours of operation.
- For non-urgent police and campus calls during holiday closing times dial (717) 871-4357. For fire, police, and EMS emergencies, always dial 911.
- Students assigned to continue housing in the residence halls for spring 2022 are not required to surrender residence hall keys to the staff prior to leaving for the break nor need to move out all your belongings.
- The Housekeeping and Facilities Management Staff will be working in the campus residence halls to perform maintenance tasks during the break that may require entrance to resident rooms. The University Housing & Conference Services staff may post a courtesy sign on your door indicating that the room is occupied during the winter break. This sign will ensure that workers will not enter your room without knocking. Please leave it in place for the duration of the winter break.
- All students assigned to the residence hall for fall 2021 are assigned to continue in the residence halls for spring 2022 unless you have filed an official withdrawal from the University, filed and been approval for an official leave of absence for spring 2022, filed for leave of absence due to call to active military service for spring 2022, filed or been approved for study abroad for spring 2022, or are a current study abroad visa international student not returning for the spring 2022 semester. All these circumstances require that you are not registered for classes at Millersville University for spring 2022.
WINTER BREAK PREPARATION PROCEDURES
The residence hall staff will conduct health and safety inspections in each residence hall suite at the start of the winter break. Please carefully review the following instructions and information to avoid violations of the Student Code of Conduct for improper maintenance of your residence hall suite/room.
Prior to the start of the break, all resident students MUST:
- Dispose of all trash by removing it to the dumpster in the parking lots outside your residence hall.
- Clean the room/suite including sweeping the floor and wiping down furniture.
- Clean your bathroom and report any issues with constant run toilets, sinks, showers to the residence hall staff.
- Remove food from your refrigerator and properly dispose of it through proper trash removal.
- Defrost your refrigerator.
- If you are leaving for the break, turn off the lights.
- If you are leaving for the break, set the thermostat to 70 degrees.
- If you are leaving for the break, close and lock your room window (Villages).
- If you are leaving for the break, lower the blinds halfway but leave them open.
- If you are leaving for the break, lock your bedroom door and your suite door.
- If you are leaving for the break please move all items from your residence hall floor, especially computer equipment and any items that can be damaged by flooding.
- If you are leaving for the break and you have an approved animal through Learning Services in your room, you must take the animal with you. You may not leave animals in the residence hall in the care of another student or staff member.
Congratulations to our December 2021 graduates!
Happy Holidays and stay safe!