The residence halls will close for the Winter break with residents expected to exit the residence halls as follows: Residents not actively engaged and mandated to be present for commencement activities are expected to exit the residence hall by Noon on Saturday, December 14, 2019. Residents actively engaged in commencement activities are expected to exit the residence hall no later than closing at 6:00 p.m. on Sunday, December 15, 2019. Residents who need to stay in residence overnight on Saturday, December 14, 2019 must contact the Residence Area Director of your assigned building to make this arrangement. This includes those who are actively engaged in commencement activity.
Winter Break housing will start at 6:00 p.m. on Sunday, December 15, 2019. The residence halls will be closed during the Winter Break. Resident Students who are continuing in the residence halls to spring 2020, and who have an approved reason for requesting Winter Break Housing may request break housing for all or portions of the Winter Break by completing the MyHousing registration for Winter Break Housing through the MAX account no later than Noon on Wednesday, December 11, 2019. This includes requests for both the December and January portions of the Winter Break. All Winter Break Housing is in the regular residence halls. If you are requesting Winter Break housing and you have scheduled a room change for the spring semester, you must complete the room change before the start of the break. Please see your Residence Area Director to make that arrangement. If you are not scheduled to live in the residence halls for the spring semester you are not eligible to request housing during the winter break.
To request Winter Break Housing please follow these instructions:
- Open MAX (for best results please use Google Chrome, or Firefox, do not use Internet Explorer).
- Log into your My-Housing account.
- Select Application from the menu in black and then choose Break Housing 2019 on the drop-down menu.
- You may get a message that says “Records indicate that you submitted this application on (date) at (time), what would you like to do with this application?”
- From the drop-down menu select “Revisit/Update This Application” and press submit.
- Select Winter Break.
- Complete the required information.
- You must select a reason for requesting break housing from the drop-down menu. If you select other, you must explain it in the next box. Be brief.
- Select “Continue” to submit your application.
- You only need to request Winter Break Housing if you need to continue your housing during any portion of the break period – Sunday, December 15, 2019, 6:00 p.m., through Sunday, January 19, 2020, Noon.
The Residence Hall Staff will conduct Health and Safety Inspections in each residence hall suite at the start of the Winter break. Please carefully review the following instructions and information to avoid violations of the Student Code of Conduct for improper maintenance of your residence hall suite/room.
Winter Break Housing Information:
- The residence halls will be closed during Winter break except for returning residents who have requested winter break housing.
- Card access for all resident students will be discontinued during the Winter break. Only returning residents who have requested Winter break housing will have card access privileges.
- Guests and Visitation are not permitted during the break.
- All University Administrative Offices will close for the holidays after Noon Tuesday, December 24, 2019 until 8:00 a.m. Thursday, January 2, 2020. Residence Hall Offices will have limited hours of operation during the break – see front desk for contact information.
- See Dining Services and Health Services websites for hours of operation.
- SMC Desk will close for the holidays Noon- December 24 to Noon December 26, 2019, and Noon December 31, 2019 to 7:00 a.m. January 2, 2020.
- For non-urgent police and campus calls during holiday closing times dial (717) 871-4357. Fire, Police and EMS Emergencies dial 911 at all times.
- Students assigned to continue housing in the residence halls for spring 2020 are not required to surrender residence hall keys to the staff prior to leaving for the break.
- The Housekeeping and Facilities Management Staff will be working in the campus residence halls to perform maintenance tasks during the break that may require entrance to resident rooms. The Housing Staff may post a courtesy sign on your door indicating that the room is occupied during the Winter break. This sign will ensure that workers will not enter your room without knocking. Please leave it in place for the duration of the Winter break.
- All students assigned to the residence hall for fall 2019 are assigned to continue in the residence halls for spring 2020 unless: you have filed an official withdrawal from the University, filed and been approval for an official leave of absence for spring 2020, filed for leave of absence due to call to active military service for spring 2020, filed or been approved for study abroad for spring 2020, are a current study abroad visa international student not returning for the spring 2020 semester. All of these circumstances require that you are not registered for classes at Millersville University for spring 2020.
Winter Break Preparation Procedures:
Prior to the start of the break, all resident students MUST:
- Dispose of all trash by removing it to the dumpster in the parking lots outside your residence hall.
- Clean the room/suite including sweeping the floor and wiping down furniture.
- Clean your bathroom and report any issues with constant run toilets, sinks, showers to the residence hall staff.
- Remove food from your refrigerator and properly dispose of it through proper trash removal.
- Defrost your refrigerator.
- If you are leaving for the break, turn off the lights.
- If you are leaving for the break, set the thermostat to 70 degrees.
- If you are leaving for the break, close and lock your room window (Villages).
- If you are leaving for the break, lower the blinds halfway but leave them open.
- If you are leaving for the break, lock your bedroom door and your suite door.
- If you are leaving for the break please move all items from your residence hall floor, especially computer equipment and any items that can be damaged by flooding.
- If you are leaving for the break and you have a Learning Services approved animal in your room, you must take the animal with you. You may not leave animals in the residence hall in the care of another student or staff member.