The Thanksgiving break will start at 9:00 a.m. on Wednesday November 21, 2018. The residence halls will be available for occupancy during the Thanksgiving break, but resident students must register intention to stay on campus during the Thanksgiving break (this includes leaving late and returning early) between 4:00 p.m. Thursday November 1, 2018, and no later than 7:00 p.m. on Monday November 19, 2018. This registration is for Thanksgiving break only. You must register subsequent breaks separately as the portal becomes available for each break period.
Follow these instructions:
- Open MAX (for best results please use Google Chrome, or Firefox. Do not use Internet Explorer.)
- Log into your “MyHousing” account
- Select Application from the menu in black and then choose “Break Housing 2018” on the drop down menu.
- You may get a message that says “Records indicate that you submitted this application on (date) at (time), What would you like to do with this application?”
- From the drop down menu select “Revisit/Update This Application” and press submit.
- Select “Thanksgiving Break.”
- Complete the required information.
- You must select a reason for requesting break housing from the drop down menu. If you select other, you must explain in the next box.
- Select “Continue” to submit your application
Remember, you must register for break housing even if you are just leaving late at closing, or returning early before opening.
The Residence Hall Staff may conduct Health and Safety Inspections in each residence hall suite at the start of the Thanksgiving break. Please carefully review the following instructions and information to avoid violations of the Student Code of Conduct for improper maintenance of your residence hall suite/room.
Thanksgiving Break Housing Information:
- The residence halls will be operational during Thanksgiving break.
- All University Administrative Offices will be closed on Thursday November 22nd and Friday November 23, 2018.
- Guests and Visitation is not permitted during the break.
- Residence Hall Offices will have limited hours of operation during the break – see you hall front desk for contact information.
- See Dining Services and Health Services websites for hours of operation.
- SMC Desk will be closed from 4:00 p.m. Wednesday, November 21st until Noon Friday November 23, 2018
- Non-urgent police and campus calls dial (717) 871-4357. Emergencies dial 911.
- Students are not required to surrender residence hall keys to the staff prior to leaving for the break.
- The Housekeeping and Facilities Management Staffs may be working in the campus residence halls to perform maintenance tasks during the break that require entrance to resident rooms. The Housing Staff may post a courtesy sign on your door indicating that the room is occupied. This sign will ensure that workers will not enter your room without knocking. Please leave it in place for the duration of the break.
Thanksgiving Break Preparation Procedures:
Prior to the start of the break, all resident students MUST:
- Dispose of all trash by removing it to the dumpster in the parking lots outside your residence hall.
- Clean the room/suite including sweeping the floor and wiping down furniture.
- Clean your bathroom and report any issues with constant run toilets, sinks, showers to the residence hall staff.
- Remove stale food from your refrigerator and properly dispose of it through proper trash removal
- If you are leaving for the break, turn off the lights
- If you are leaving for the break, set the thermostat to 70 degrees
- If you are leaving for the break, close and lock your room window (Villages)
- If you are leaving for the break, lower the blinds halfway but leave them open
- If you are leaving for the break, lock your bedroom door and your suite door
- If you are leaving for the break please move all items from your residence hall floor, especially computer equipment and any items that can be damaged by flooding.
- If you are leaving for the break and you have a Learning Services approved animal in your room, you must take the animal with you. You may not leave animals in the residence hall in the care of another student or staff member.
Photo courtesy of: