Since 1976, the month of February has been recognized as Black History Month. Why February, you may ask? “Negro History Week” by Carter G. Woodson originally had its debut in February. President Abraham Lincoln, who issued the Emancipation Proclamation, and African American abolitionist, author, and orator Frederick Douglass, were also both born in February.
- “Freedom is never given; it is won.” – A. Philip Randolph
- “Never be limited by other people’s limited imaginations.” – Dr. Mae Jamison
- “One important key to success is self-confidence. An important key to self-confidence is preparation.” – Arthur Ashe
- “You never know which experiences of life are going to be of value . . . You’ve got to leave yourself open to the hidden opportunities.” – Robin Roberts
- “Education is our passport to the future, for tomorrow belongs to the people who prepare for it today.” – El Hajj Malik El Shabazz
- “Change will not come if we wait for some other people or some other time. We are the ones we’ve been waiting for. We are the change that we seek.” – President Barack Obama
- “We may encounter many defeats, but we must not be defeated.” – Maya Angelou
- “The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.” – Alice Walker
- “You never know how or when you’ll have an impact, or how important your example can be to someone else.” – Denzel Washington
- “There’s always something to suggest that you’ll never be who you wanted to be. Your choice is to take it or keep on moving.” – Phylicia Rashad
Add your own favorite motivational quote from any inspiring individuals from the Black community.
Gabrielle Krick is a senior Business Administration major with a concentration in Management and minor in Marketing at Millersville University. Her interests include human resources, social media marketing, and content marketing. When she graduates in May 2023, Gabby hopes to work for a large company’s human resources department, specifically representing minorities and the LGBTQ community. She hopes to either stay in the Lancaster, Pennsylvania area or move somewhere near Rehoboth, Delaware.
Subscribe to our blog to receive email notifications whenever we make a new post!
Follow us on social media:
Twitter: @villehousing. Twitter QR Code:
Instagram: @villehousing. Instagram Nametag: