College life is more than just attending classes, studying, and earning a degree. It’s also about fostering a sense of community and spreading kindness wherever you go. For Millersville University students living on campus, creating a positive and inclusive environment can make your college experience even more memorable. In this blog post, we present creative EPPIIC ways to spread kindness on campus, helping you make the most of your time at Millersville and create lasting memories.
- Smile at everyone you meet.
- Hold the door open for the person behind you.
- Leave cheerful sticky notes for friends, faculty, and staff.
- Introduce yourself to others who live in your residence hall.
- Organize a study group or tutoring session.
- Start a book-sharing club in your residence hall.
- Offer to cook a meal for a friend.
- Surprise your roommate with their favorite snack.
Acts of Service
- Volunteer at local community events.
- Participate in campus service events.
- Mentor a younger student.
- Offer to help a friend with their chores.
- Run errands for someone who’s sick.
- Provide academic support to underclassmen.
- Assist in set up & clean-up for campus events and programs.
- Donate unwanted clothing to a local charity.
Random Acts of Kindness
- Pay for someone’s coffee or meal.
- Leave anonymous compliments on classmates’ doors.
- Surprise your roommate with a thoughtful gift.
- Give a genuine compliment every day.
- Write and share inspirational quotes.
- Offer a friendly greeting to passersby.
- Share a helpful tip with fellow students.
- Start a kindness challenge on social media.
Supporting Mental Health
- Promote mental health awareness on campus.
- Offer a non-judgmental space for friends to vent.
- Attend mindfulness or meditation sessions.
- Be sensitive to friends’ mental health needs.
- Encourage peers to seek professional help when needed.
- Share resources for counseling and support.
- Offer to accompany a friend to counseling appointments.
- Host a stress-relief event in your residence hall.
- Create a safe space for open conversations.
- Advocate for mental health initiatives on campus.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Attend cultural events and gatherings on campus.
- Learn about different cultures and traditions.
- Invite international students for cultural exchanges.
- Support diversity and inclusion initiatives.
- Challenge stereotypes and biases when you encounter them.
- Engage in dialogue about cultural awareness.
- Offer assistance to international students adjusting to campus.
- Learn a foreign language.
- Share traditional recipes with friends.
- Attend guest lectures on diversity and inclusion.
Acts of Kindness Online
- Leave positive comments on classmates’ social media posts.
- Share helpful academic resources.
- Avoid engaging in online negativity.
- Promote healthy online discussions.
- Share inspiring stories and quotes.
- Offer a virtual shoulder to lean on.
- Send encouraging messages to friends.
- Promote online awareness campaigns.
- Organize virtual events to stay connected.
- Support online mental health initiatives.
Spreading Joy and Laughter
- Share funny memes and jokes with friends.
- Host a game night in your residence hall.
- Plan surprise movie nights in common areas.
- Decorate your living space with positivity.
- Share personal stories of overcoming challenges.
- Encourage humor and laughter in everyday life.
- Celebrate birthdays and milestones with friends.
- Share self-care tips with friends.
- Organize self-care workshops and activities.
- Offer to accompany a friend on a self-care day.
- Provide support during busy exam periods.
- Encourage a healthy work-life balance.
- Create self-care kits for friends.
- Share stress-relief techniques.
- Promote regular exercise and healthy eating.
- Offer to help friends create study schedules.
- Celebrate each other’s accomplishments.
- Always be a supportive friend and peer.
Spreading kindness on campus is not only about making others’ lives better but also about enhancing your college experience. These ways to spread kindness on Millersville University’s campus can foster a positive, inclusive, and supportive community. Remember, kindness is contagious, and your actions can inspire others to do the same. So, let’s make our campus a better place, one act of kindness at a time!
*** Graphic by Scott M. Helfrich, Ed.D.