The residence halls will close at 7 PM on Friday, May 10, 2019. Residents are expected to move out of the residence halls and return room keys within 24 hours after their last exam. Resident students who are graduating, are involved in graduation, or have a Saturday exam must speak with their Residential Area Director by 5 PM on Wednesday, May 8, 2019 to obtain permission to remain in the halls until Saturday, May 11, 2019. Everyone permitted to stay until Saturday must check out by 6 PM on Saturday, May 11, 2019.
Carefully review the following information to avoid violations of the Student Code of Conduct and additional charges for improperly checking out of your residence hall room.
QUIET HOURS FOR FINAL EXAMS:
Please keep your fellow students in mind as they prepare for exams. Quiet hours will be maintained at all times, 24 hours a day, beginning at 9:00 PM Friday, May 3, 2019 and continuing through 6 PM Saturday, May 11, 2019.
RESIDENCE HALL OFFICE HOURS FOR CHECK-OUT:
All residents must properly check-out of the residence halls to avoid a $35 improper checkout charge. Instructions for checking out of your room appear below. Residence hall staff will be available at the main desk in the halls during the following hours to check-out residents and provide information:
Tuesday, May, 7th: 1 PM – 7 PM
Wednesday, May 8th: 9 AM – 7 PM
Thursday, May 9th: 9 AM – 7 PM
Friday, May 10th: 9 AM – 7 PM (for all residents without permission to stay until Saturday)
Saturday, May 11th: 9 AM – 6 PM (all residents must be out by this time)
If you plan to leave before or after the extended office hours for check-out you must choose either the express checkout or arrange with your RA to perform your room check at a mutually agreed upon time.
Prior to leaving for the summer break, all resident students MUST properly check out of their room. Whether a student chooses to use the Express Check-out procedure or chooses to have a staff member accompany them to their room to check for additional damages, ALL residents must do the following prior to the actual check-out:
- Remove all belongings from your area of the room (open desk/dresser drawers)
- Dispose of trash by removing it to the dumpster area of your residence hall
- Clean the room including sweeping the floor and wiping down furniture to remove dust and sticky residue
- Clean the bathrooms. This would include cleaning the toilet, shower, sink and floor areas.
- Return furniture to its original position (see schematics posted on the bulletin board of your hallway)
- Un-bunk beds and make sure that the bed frame is at the proper height (3rd and 4th slots from the bottom)
The LAST resident to check-out of a room should also do the following:
- Turn off the lights
- Set the thermostat to 70 degrees
- Close and lock the window
- Lower the blinds halfway but leave them open
- Lock your bedroom door
After completing the above checklist, students may finish check-out in one of two ways, Express Check-out or Check-out with a staff member.
Express check-out may be used at any time in lieu of checking out with a staff member. It’s easy, it’s quick but there is a catch—by choosing the express check-out process students waive the right to dispute any charges for damages or failing to follow proper check-out procedures outlined above.
To use the Express Check-out Procedure:
- Proceed to the main desk of your residence hall where you will find express check-out envelopes next to a locked drop box.
- Complete all information required on the front of the envelope
- Sign where indicated
- Place your room key inside the envelope (Shenks/Reighard include your parking pass) and seal it.
- If you have lost your key, complete the envelope and write on the front: “No key enclosed, lost key”
- Drop the envelope into the lock box.
CHECK-OUT WITH A STAFF MEMBER:
To check out with a staff member, you must do so during the posted hours. Proceed to the main desk of your residence hall to have a staff member accompany you to your room to complete the check-out process as follows:
- You must accompany the staff member to your room where the staff member will inspect your room for any damages that occurred during your stay. The staff member will advise you if they make any documentation on your Room Condition Report.
- Following the room inspection you will accompany the RA back to the main desk to sign and date your key return and RCR. The RA will accept your room key and verify that you have returned the proper room key. The RA will sign your Room Condition Report.
Registered Summer Session residents will be assigned to live in South Village “A” wing. You must move out of your spring room assignment by the deadlines published above even if residing in South “A”. There is no storage available. Please remove all belongings at spring closing and checkout.
For information regarding summer housing, please contact the Department of Housing & Residential Programs in Lombardo at (717) 871-4200 or see “Summer Housing” on the Housing webpage. Housing is available during Summer Sessions 1, 2, & 3 only for residents registered for summer session classes.
Remember to take your bicycle with you as you leave campus. As of Sunday, May 12, 2019, all bicycles left in the residential areas will be donated to charity.
The last day for mail delivery will be Friday, May 10, 2019. Unclaimed mail may be returned to sender. The mailroom cannot forward packages.
Each residence hall will have a cart (or box) for items you may want to donate. Donations will be used for local families and organizations in the area. Donations should be gently used items. Please do not place items damaged or soiled beyond use in the donation box/cart.
Have a Safe and Restful Summer Break!