Matthew 21

Matthew 21

Matthew 21:8-9 NIV

[8] A very large crowd spread their cloaks on the road, while others cut branches from the trees and spread them on the road. [9] The crowds that went ahead of him and those that followed shouted, “Hosanna to the Son of David!” “Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord!” “Hosanna in the highest heaven!”

The people welcome the king and are excited. Days later the crowd will be begging Pilate to crucify the one they are now cheering for. How fickle we are when things don’t meet our desires. The people wanted a military king to throw off the yoke of Roman oppression. When Jesus did not meet this expectation the crowd turned on him. This was done so that scripture would be fulfilled and the lamb sacrificed for the forgiveness for everyone. 

Matthew 21:12-13 NIV

[12] Jesus entered the temple courts and drove out all who were buying and selling there. He overturned the tables of the money changers and the benches of those selling doves. [13] “It is written,” he said to them, “ ‘My house will be called a house of prayer,’ but you are making it ‘a den of robbers.’ ”

What have we turned God’s house of worship into?  In the book “The Heavenly Man,” the author,a Chinese pastor who has faced great persecution but also seen fantastic miracles, marvels at the size of churches in the west. His comment is that we spend so much money on buildings where in China they meet in houses and spend what little money they have on bibles and equipping missionaries. Maybe we ought to rethink our priorities. 

Matthew 21:21-22 NIV

[21] Jesus replied, “Truly I tell you, if you have faith and do not doubt, not only can you do what was done to the fig tree, but also you can say to this mountain, ‘Go, throw yourself into the sea,’ and it will be done. [22] If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer.”

Sermons discussing these versus sometimes focus on the mountains that we are facing and how prayer can help us overcome the mountains.  I am struck by the planeness of it and the thought that I either don’t have enough faith or I have too much doubt. I continue to pray for healing for the afflicted and for hearts of stone to be broken and hope that my little faith is enough.  I have also read that bringing just one heart to confess that Jesus Christ is Lord and Savior is more of a miracle than moving many mountains.