Need an internship? Want to get your work published? Check out the Made in Millersville Journal!
The Made in Millersville Journal is an online publication that works to publish student’s presentations from the annual Made in Millersville conference. This conference highlights student research projects and creative works from departments across campus. Students can present a paper, perform poetry, present an art sculpture, discuss a poster, play a musical performance, or anything that fits under the guidelines of the conference.
After noticing the wide variety of research and creativity demonstrated every year at the Made in Millersville Conference, Tatiana Pashkova-Balkenhol and Kerrie Farkas co-founded and co-created the Made in Millersville Journal, a conference proceedings journal for students and by students. Two pilot issues were published in 2015 and 2016 before the first full-fledged publication began in 2017. As of the 2019 edition, the Made in Millersville Journal has published 111 articles across all three colleges and 24 (of 26) departments, and has offered 24 internship positions.
There are two ways students can get involved with the Made in Millersville Journal: work on the editorial board as an intern or employee or publish in the journal as a presenter at the Made in Millersville conference.
There are many reasons why students should intern for the Journal, some of which include gaining professional editing experience as well as building pathways to professional careers after college. Here’s the full list of reasons students should consider this internship opportunity:
- Gain professional editorial and publishing experience
- Improve their writing and editing
- Gain hands-on experience working in a multidisciplinary, team environment
- Work in a supportive environment that encourages interns to step out of their comfort zones
- Build pathways between college and their future careers
The application deadline for the editorial board is October 1. Visit the employment/internship flyer for specific qualifications and directions to apply.
Not only can students join the editorial team, but they can publish their work in the Journal. In order to publish in the Journal, students must indicate on their conference application that they are interested in publishing. Here are some reasons student authors should publish in the Journal:
- Impress future employers with a published writing sample;
- Improve their writing and experience a unique, authentic, and personalized publishing process by collaborating with a team of trained student editors;
- Market their scholarly or creative work by being featured in the journal and on our social media platforms;
- Translate their conference presentation into an effective and accessible summary for a public audience; and
- Build critical communication skills by working with an editorial team.
The application deadline for the Made in Millersville Conference will be in February.