Students interested in social justice in their communities should attend the Social Justice Fair on Monday, October 23, in the Student Memorial Center. The day’s events, which unfold in and around the Multipurpose Room, include:
- 8-9am–A Social Justice Fair (on display throughout the day) where various social justice organizations will present their information
- 9:00-9:10–Welcome and Introduction: What is Social Justice
- 9:10-9:50–Action and Engagement Panel
- 10-10:50–Campus Climate Survey and Discussion
- 11-11:50–Social Justice Film Excerpts and Discussion
- 12-1:00–Keynote and Free Lunch
- 1-1:50–Action and Engagement Panel
Our Keynote Speaker, Anne Kirby, is an expert on creating community. She is the founding member of the sweet core, The Candy Factory & Groundworks, Lancaster’s premier coworking space and home to over 60+ coworkers. She also manages The Arch, a new art collective in Lancaster. She will be speaking on techniques for building strong community and encouraging collaboration as well as her own experience becoming involved in the political process.
We welcome all members of the Millersville Community to attend. Attendance is free, but just register by sending an email to email@example.com so lunches can be ordered!
Post your social justice events and follow the day at
If you are interested in getting involved, see the Civic and Service Organizations at Get Involved. Some university and community organizations that welcome your participation include:
- African and Caribbean Student Association at Millersville University
- American Association of University Women
- Amnesty International
- Black Student Union
- Circle K
- Friends and Advocates of Native Nations
- Gender and Sexuality Alliance (Allies)
- Gender Issues and Social Justice Committee (APSCUF)
- Habitat for Humanity
- Intercultural Center
- Lancaster Stands Up!
- National Association for the Advancement of Colored People
- Office of Diversity and Social Justice
- PA Student Power Network
- President’s Commission on Gender and Sexual Diversity: The Mission of the Millersville University President’s Commission on Gender and Sexual Diversity (GSD) is to foster a university climate that promotes equity, inclusion, and affirmation for all people representative within the spectrum of gender and sexual expression (e.g. are or are perceived to be lesbian, gay, bi-sexual, transgender/transsexual, questioning/queer, intersex, allies/androgynous/asexual (LGBTQIA), etc.) at Millersville University. The Commission actively supports policies, practices, and programs that pursue this goal for students, staff, faculty, administrators, and the general public with respect to sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression.
- President’s Commission on Social Diversity and Inclusion: The Mission of the Millersville University Commission on Cultural Diversity and Inclusion is to foster a university climate that promotes racial and cultural diversity. The Commission actively supports university policies, practices, and programs that address the issues pertaining to cultural diversity and underrepresented racial groups.
- President’s Commission on the Status of Women: The Mission of the Millersville University Commission on the Status of Women is to foster a university climate that promotes full and equal opportunity for women to study, work, and live in an environment free of discrimination and harassment. The Commission actively supports university policies, practices, and programs that address issues and concerns pertaining to campus women.
- Society on Latino Affairs