The Bathroom Attack!

Imagine this…

You’re in your tiny classroom, prepping for lunch time. Everyone is getting in line in the bathrooms to wash their hands for their delicious lunch of chicken tenders, tater tots, and pineapple tidbits. 

Suddenly, you hear one student come out of the bathroom crying, screaming and holding their arm. In the process of consoling the crying child, you find out that one of his fellow classmates BIT him.

You and your fellow staff try to calm down your bitten student, and another staff member scolds the child that bit him. You watch and  listen to your colleague scold and yell at the child. After she is done scolding the biter, you do not really see a reaction from the child.

I experienced this within my own placement and it led me to the question of…does scolding and yelling REALLY work? 

The Research…

According to research, scolding and yelling is not effective or beneficial to the teacher AND the students. They state that it is “rarely or never justifiable”.  Every teacher has their fair share of 

yelling or scolding, but I think that most teachers eventually figure out that it does not work.

I was placed within a Kindergarten classroom to observe before and my co-op did not go a day without yelling at her students. She did have a rambunctious and active group of children, but that did not allow her to yell at them. More research states that there are many reasons as to why it is not effective.

These reasons include:

• Bad Role Modeling
    • Trains students to ignore your regular voice
    • Increase probability for less respect
    • May trigger bullying
    • And many more…

Can This Be Prevented…?

From the research I found, it also provides ways to prevent, help and stop yelling within the classroom. There are many ways of doing this. The research goes into deep detail describing how you can go about preventing this within your classroom. I think that it is important to go about figuring this out because yelling and teaching I believe should not mix. Depending on circumstances of course, students can come home to the same thing…yelling from their parents. If they are being yelled at at home, they should not be yelled at at school. Children need a safe space to feel comfortable—school should be that place for them. 

Tips, Tricks & Steps:

TEACHERS, STOP YELLING! Some advice from another teacher.

www.createspace.com/3536421 discount code: NXY3Y88L for 15% off at the printer’s website. If you raise your voice 1 or more times a day, this video is FOR YO…

How To Stop Yelling

Join the conversation and share your ideas with others: http://mamablog.teach-through-love.com/2013/11/how-to-stop-yelling.html Get your Conscious Communicat…

Reflection…    

Another issue within my placement is the child himself biting their fellow student. My placement is in a classroom of children ranging from three to five. My co-op mentioned to me that the child that did the biting, was indeed three. Biting is a typical behavior seen in children three and younger, however it is still not an acceptable behavior. There are ways that parents and possibly teachers could prevent biting as well.

Even though I was not the original person to scold and yell at the child who committed the act, I still can reflect on this scenario. I think based upon my observations and research, I would have gone about this in a much calmer way. My placement is all about using positive affirmation and positive words, so saying “DON’T” or “WON’T” or words with negative tones are a no-no. However, in this scenario, this did not occur–my co-op told the student:

“We do not bite our friends. That is not safe and that is not acceptable.” 

I do agree with her statement, however it goes against the ways of their program. I think it is important to be consistent and committed to your words so that your students understand and will respect you. Respect and trust is key…I do not think that goes about within yelling and scolding.  As a future educator I plan and hope to go about situations both similar and different, in a new way than just yelling. I want to speak calmly, but effectively to my students so that they understand what is right and wrong within the classroom and society as a whole.

References

Gonzalez, J. (2016, April 3). How to Stop Yelling at Your Students. Retrieved March 5, 2020, from https://www.cultofpedagogy.com/stop-yelling-at-students/

How To Stop Yelling. (2013). Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0VQv45P5io

Linsin, M. (2011, January 8). 10 Reasons Why You Should Never, Ever Yell At Students. Retrieved March 5, 2020, from https://www.smartclassroommanagement.com/2011/01/08/10-reasons-why-you-should-never-yell-at-students/

Teachers, Stop Yelling! Some advice from another teacher. (2008). Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-JFwHWkcpY

Wheeler, G. (1935). Yelling Teachers. The Journal of Education, 118(1), 7-7. Retrieved March 6, 2020, from www.jstor.org/stable/42848215