First Growth!

Today Brawndo Hydroponics had its first growth of our lettuce seeds. Thus far the group has not ran into any problems, and everything is running smoothly.

5 thoughts on “First Growth!”

1. I saw this in class and it immediately caught my eye, totally different than anyone elses, and I didn’t even see this used online, but I like it and it seems like it is working very well.

2. I see that you used the sponge type growing medium, I was wondering what made you decide to use a sponge rather than the perlite or rockwool that most other systems from the class used. It seems to be working well but I was just wondering what research this was based on.

3. Congrats on your first growth! Hopefully it will continue to grow healthy. If it is growing at a slow rate, you may want to consider more water, but not too much. Our bush beans are constantly exposed to water, with perilite and rockwool soaking up a lot of it, and we have about 10 inches of growth. I also agree with John, the cup in which your plant is in can’t hold much water if something were to happen to the system.

4. Your system looks good however, you may discover your plants may start to die. The reason that I could see this happening is because of your growing medium. because of your medium, the roots may be too exposed to the light and burn the roots thus killing the plants. Secondly, since your medium wount hold any water you may find out that it is not getting enough water. And if the power goes out that may become a real problem. Its just something to keep an eye out for.

5. What exactly are you using as a growing medium? I am not sure why it took so long for the seeds to germinate, but it seems like you got them to sprout. Your container and overall system is good in the fact the is blocks virtually all light out of the nutrient solution. Are you having any problems with pH. Ours keep getting up to around 8 and we continually have to lower it. Any ideas on this? Also, is your system just a drip system or is the cup and medium in the water under the lid?