Facilities Management Department
Electrical Load Reduction Announcement
In a sustainable initiative, we have entered into an agreement with Constellation Energy, our electrical grid operator, to reduce electrical consumption during high use period. This initiative avoids brown-outs and black-outs throughout the Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Maryland (PJM) electrical grid. Additional, the University reduces its carbon footprint by using less energy.
As part of this agreement, an annual test of our capability to reduce consumption by 750 kW is required. while reduces the carbon footprint.
Our approach is to manipulate the major mechanical systems and shift loads to our emergency generators. Detailed tiered control sequences have been implemented taking into account sensitive areas and building occupants comfort.
Beginning date: July 2, 2013 12:00 p.m.
Ending date: July 2, 2013 1:00 p.m.
One of the biggest electrical consumption that can only be controlled by end user is considered “Plug Load”. All University personnel can assist in meeting our goal by reducing plug load such as:
– Turn off all unnecessary appliances (coffee pots, radios, TV’s fans, etc.)
– If you are not using the computer, shut off the screens and computer.
– Raise the temperature in your spaces by adjusting the thermostat (if so equipped).
– Turn off additional lights or otherwise reduce lighting in your work/living areas.
– If your space is air conditioned, make sure to close all doors and windows.
We need assistance from all students, faculty and staff to help the University meets its sustainable goal.