Millersville University Educator of the Year Award Selection Committee is
now soliciting nominations for the 2011-2012 Educator of the Year
The Educator of the Year Award is given annually to one faculty/staff member in recognition of sustained outstanding teaching to include counseling, mentoring, and advising of the undergraduate and graduate students at Millersville University.
Criteria for Educator of the Year:
Outstanding teaching and advising comes in many forms and thus it is difficult to list all the characteristics that would be worthy of an award. The criteria listed here are intended to be suggestions.
- Instill intellectual curiosity, a desire to learn and the importance of life-long learning.
- Stimulate learning through teaching, advising and/or counseling, modeling of scholarship, involving students in the learning process, expressing genuine concern for the student as a whole, setting of high standards, enthusiastic and passionate about their field.
- Demonstrate success and excellence through reference to the achievements of students.
- Encourage and demonstrate ethical behavior, integrated view of life, personal responsibility and integrity, leadership, clear and critical thinking and civic engagement.
- Influence on the way other colleagues teach, advise and/or counsel.
- Have an effect beyond the Millersville University community.
- Serious about academic excellence and meaningful life experiences of the students.
- Available to students, making them feel welcome and respected.
- Skillful in encouraging problem-solving techniques by helping students to think through issues and make decisions.
- All full-time tenure-track and regular part-time faculty or staff members are eligible for this award.
- Educators can receive this award no more frequently than once every ten years.
- There will be no monetary reward associated with this award.
- The award will consist of a plaque along with the faculty member’s picture displayed in a common area, and a plaque given to the faculty member.
- The recipient will be entitled to a reserved parking spot on campus following the year of the award.
- The award will be presented to the Educator of the Year at the spring commencement ceremony.
- The recipient will be asked to speak at a university sponsored event the following academic year.
Nominations should be submitted using the appropriate nomination form, which is attached to this message or can be found on the Faculty Senate Website. Additional information on the award is also found on this site. http://www.millersville.edu/~fsenate/Forms/EOYA.html
Please submit nominations to EOYA@millersville.edu by December 12, 2011. Questions may be directed to Laurie B. Hanich, Chair (email@example.com).