Today there was tremendous growth, and the system seems to be sucking down water like it should, we had to add nearly a gallon of nutrient solution. The pH was actually around 6.5 which is right where we want it to be. this was the first time during the semester that the pH remained stable since the last time we adjusted it. Since the plants have gotten so large, our growing system is hardly visible. I took a look into the water reservoir for the first time in about a month. I knew since our system blocked almost all the light out, algae growth would not be a problem, and it is not. Our water looks fairly clear still and some of the nutrient solution is still the original solution from when we got out system up and running a couple months ago. The roots of our plants stretch down nearly the whole way to the bottom of the reservoir which is about 10 inches deep. Some of the leaves of mesclun are over 9 inches long and look very healthy. There is almost no dead leaves in our system. I(Greg) Ate a couple pieces of the lettuce today and it tastes fine. I was thinking about trimming back the growth but I decided to just let it go until harvest day which is only a couple weeks away. I may reconsider trimming it again next week. It depends on how much nutrient solution it drinks in the next week.
Looking back, I wish we would have put the system more towards the front. With everyone elses projects growing, it is getting difficult to check the pH and add Water daily. Other than this, we could not be happier with our results.