Millersville University’s Byerly and Gilbert Halls have remained staples on campus for over 60 years. While their legacies will continue on, they will do so under new names: Susan P. Luek Hall and Lehigh Hall. Both names were approved at a recent MU Council of Trustees meeting.
Susan P. Luek Hall (former Byerly Hall) houses the University’s psychology department. Established in 1929, the building originally served as the laboratory school for the college, and the junior high school for the community. It was first named after Andrew R. Byerly, an 1855 normal school graduate and English department faculty member. Byerly’s legacy will live on as a study lounge within the building, which will receive his name.
Dr. Susan P. Luek became the new namesake for this historical building in recognition of her lifetime support of Millersville University. During her nearly 40 years at the University as a professor of psychology, Luek was an inspiring educator and is widely admired by students, alumni and colleagues. She was committed to student learning as an exemplary instructor and a dedicated advisor to students and campus organizations. Luek’s legacy of prioritizing student success and furthering the University’s mission will be honored by the renaming of Byerly Hall to Susan P. Luek Hall.
Gilbert Hall is one of the more mature residence halls on campus, as it was built in 1950. Originally Roddy Hall, the residence hall was known as Gilbert Hall after 1964 in honor of Sarah Hughes Gilbert, a 1877 and 1879 graduate of the normal school who taught mathematics, literature and elocution.
After Building A in the West Village suites also recognized Gilbert’s legacy in its title, safety reasons called for the older building to receive a new name. The historic residence hall has been renamed Lehigh Hall, after the county located northeast of Lancaster.