christineGaudry

Meet Christine: New Faculty Coordinator

christineGaudry

Global Education is pleased to announce the addition of Christine Gaudry to the new position of Faculty Coordinator. She is looking forward  to working with faculty, students, and international scholars. Check out the Q&A session below to find out more about Christine!

What university did you attend? What was your major?

When I graduated from high school having just turned 17, I decided I wanted to become an English high school teacher.  Back then, future teachers were expected to attend the Ecole normale supérieure, a French grande école (higher education establishment outside the framework of the public university system).  I attended the first year, preparing for the grand concours (a very competitive exam) which only recruits 200 students or less every year.  I would have then become a civil servant and have to sign on to work ten years for the state.  After a year, I found myself wondering if I was ready for such a long term commitment and if I would be competent to teach English without having experienced firsthand its culture.  I therefore decided to switch to a public university.  The University of Paris X Nanterre not only provided me with a Master’s degree in British Literature with a French Literature minor but also gave me the opportunity to go abroad.  My education did not stop there because my French degree was not recognized by American universities.  I had to go back to school at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill where I received a Master’s degree in twentieth Century French literature as well as a Ph.D. in eighteenth Century French Literature.

What attracted you to Millersville University?

Millersville was not my first teaching position.  I had taught at Wichita State University, Wichita, KS, for three and a half years and at Randolph-Macon College, Ashland, VA, for four years.  I applied for a teaching position at Millersville University because it had a very successful Master’s summer program in French which was based upon the total immersion concept where students pledge to communicate only in their language of study, resulting in the rapid acquisition of linguistics and cultural fluency.  I stayed at Millersville because I have yet to find an institution whose primary mission is so embedded in liberal education.   I was also very impressed with the faculty-student interaction in and outside the classroom.

What are you looking forward to in your new role as Faculty Coordinator?

The position of Faculty Coordinator is actually a new initiative to ensure that Millersville University becomes a global partner in education.  I look forward to assisting MU faculty who might be interested in teaching a course abroad but do not know where to begin; there are so many opportunities to do research and collaborate with international scholars and I consider my role as a facilitator as well; I am especially excited about serving as an advisor to our international students; last but not least, as a faculty member and former chair in the department of Foreign Languages, I have always encouraged our majors to go and study abroad and I am honored to extend this to all MU students.

What do you do in your spare time?

Attending arts and cultural activities, reading, and traveling have always been my main hobbies.  And now visiting my newborn grand daughter.

What is an interesting fact about yourself that most people do not know?

My father was a jazz musician and he played with famous artists such as Duke Ellington, Ray Charles, Ella Fitzgerald, Count Basie, just to name a few.

My daughters said that I should mention the fact that I once was an actress in England.

If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go and why?

I have always wanted to visit Egypt, its history, its culture, its people.  Anybody interested, let me know!

What is your favorite MU tradition?

The Candle lighting ceremony around the pond.  Each person lights another person’s candle until all bags with candles in them lights the pathway to the pond. It is not only a beautiful sight but it exemplifies what MU is about:  working together to make a better world.